Bungou Stray Dogs

Other Title:

Bungo Stray Dogs

Synonyms:

Literary Stray Dogs

Type:

TV

Aired:

April 7, 2016 to June 23, 2016

Source:

Manga

Genres:

Action, Mystery, Comedy, Supernatural, Seinen

Synopsis:

For weeks, Atsushi Nakajima's orphanage has been plagued by a mystical tiger that only he seems to be aware of. Suspected to be behind the strange incidents, the 18-year-old is abruptly kicked out of the orphanage and left hungry, homeless, and wandering through the city.

While starving on a riverbank, Atsushi saves a rather eccentric man named Osamu Dazai from drowning. Whimsical suicide enthusiast and supernatural detective, Dazai has been investigating the same tiger that has been terrorizing the boy. Together with Dazai's partner Doppo Kunikida, they solve the mystery, but its resolution leaves Atsushi in a tight spot. As various odd events take place, Atsushi is coerced into joining their firm of supernatural investigators, taking on unusual cases the police cannot handle, alongside his numerous enigmatic co-workers.

Characters and Voice Actors:

- Main:

Osamu Dazai

Age: 22

Birthday: June 19

Height: 181 cm

Weight: 67 kg

Blood type: AB

Likes: Suicide, sake, crabs, Ajinomoto (a Japanese brand of seasoning)

Dislikes: Dogs

Ability: No Longer Human; the ability to nullify other abilities through touch.

Spoiler:

Ex-member of the Port Mafia.

- Miyano, Mamoru (Japanese)

- Tang, Kaiji (English)

Atsushi Nakajima

Age: 18

Birthday: May 5

Height: 170 cm

Weight: 55 kg

Blood type: AB

Likes: chazuke, cats, chameleons, Yokohama

Dislikes: himself, the orphanage he grew up in

Ability: Beast Beneath the Moon

His name comes from the Japanese author (1909-1942).

Atsushi Nakajima is based on a character in one of the author's short stories, "The Tiger Man", wherein an unfulfilled bureaucrat wanders into the forest in pursuit of a voice which transforms him into a tiger. When he meets an old friend in the mountains later on, he temporarily transforms back and asks him to relay some of his poems back to humanity.

The protagonist of the series, Atsushi can transform into a white tiger, which is capable of healing itself of any wounds. However, he initially has no control over this ability.