Chapter 7

David Malone slammed the door of his Impala and looked at the Domingo, Kansas Police Precinct. He inhaled deeply and leaned against the sun-warmed hunk of metal.

"Malone."

The detective glanced behind him and saw his partner standing by the rear end of the Impala. Colette "CC" Corbin flashed a smile. CC was considered the precinct's Ice Queen. She stood at five feet seven inches and never wore heels. Her waist-length auburn hair was always pulled into a tight french braid that hung down her back except for a single stray lock. Her facial features were soft and elegant; the eyes deep set and the color of green jade. CC's jaw was squared, matched perfectly with high cheekbones. Her body was slim, curved and toned. She always dressed in solid, light colored tees with blue jeans; her naturally large breasts covered by a blazer despite the hot summer weather. 

CC's preferred tone of voice was icy and professional. Men practically threw themselves at her feet but she continuously ignored their advances with a simple, light hearted threat. Except, of course, when it came to David Malone. 

"Hello Corbin."  He took his weight off the car, watching the other detective saunter over. 

"After two years of working together, I figured you'd have started calling me CC." A devilish smile played across lush lips; her heavy french accent sexily slurred her words and made them sound crisp.

"Lat's keep this professional. How was Paris and your family?" CC rolled her eyes.

"Annoying as always. Let's go in. My body's begging for some really bad coffee." She walked away. David laughed and followed suit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Setting down her full glass of Chianti, Camielle Erikson slipped into the tub and forced herself to relax. It was going on 9pm and she had been simmering in annoyance since Malone had left. She just couldn't understand why he didn't believe her. Of course, he had never said he didn't but she could tell... The look on his face when she told him about the window had said it all. David either thought she was crazy or making it up. But she wasn't. She had really seen Shane outside the bedroom that morning. Cam groaned loudly and pushed the thoughts from her mind.

Out on the street somewhere came the faint sound of a car door being slammed shut. Silence became immediate, broken only by the soft sloshing of the soapy water when she moved. A knock at the front door startled her, making her jump. Suddenly furious, she hauled her wet body from the tub and slipped on her robe. Camielle stomped down the hall to the front door and threw it open.

"David! I told you-"

She stopped, her blood turning to ice in her veins. In the doorway stood Shane Davis. After a moment, Cam reacted and attempted to slam the door into place. Too late... Shane wedged his booted foot between the door and the doorjamb, forcing it open. 

Camielle turned and fled down the hallway to the bathroom. She shut the door and locked it. She fumbled through her pants pocket for her cell. Finding it, she hit Detective Malone's speed dial. He answered, annoyed.

"Malone."

She gripped the phone tight, hearing Shane's boots shuffle on the carpet. 

"David! It's Cam. Shane's in the house! Please-"

Camielle cut off with a scream as Shane forced his large body through the door. She dropped the phone and tried to get away. The tile floor was still drenched in water from when she got out. Slipping on the water soaked floor, Camielle came to her knees painfully. Shane took the chance given and grabbed her right ankle, dragging her jerking body to him. Cam fought back hard. Struggling, Shane dropped to one knee for a better hold. He tangled his fingers into her long, wet hair and pulled her against his sweating figure. He slammed her head against the porcelain sink, watching her fade into unconsciousness. He left out a howl of laughter, picked her up and carried her body down the hall.