Chapter 2

"I'm real proud of you Cam." 

  Justice Tynson placed a steaming mug of coffee on the place-mat in front of Camielle. Justice and Camielle had been friends since their junior year of high school. Justice had been adoptedat the age of four. Justice was now married to a Korean man named Kao and had two toddlers-both boys. Justice was fairly pretty. For a mother of twins, she was rail thin with broad hips and large breasts.. Her raven hair was bobbed around the base of her chin. She had thin lips and her rounded facial features showed 'peek-a-boo' hints of her hidden Japanese ethnicity. 

"Thanks..."

  Camielle raised the cup to her lips just as her cell phone rang. She snatched it off the table and without checking caller id, hit IGNORE. 

"That's the sixth time this morning!" Justice shook her head, tossing silken strands in a frenzy around her face.

"It's beginning to get creepy. He just won't leave me alone."

  Cam pushed the mug away and smacked her head on the table. Justice reached over the table and placed her small, delicate fingers on the arm of her best friend.

"I should have listened." she murmured. "So many people told me he was bad news... But I didn't listen. I got it in my head that I could change him." she quieted.

  For a while, the two women sat in silence. Then, the phone rang. Camielle picked up in a fury.

"Shane! Stop calling me!" A voice that didn't belong to her ex cleared his throat on the other end.

"Miss. Erikson? This is Detective Malone." Heat rose in Cam's cheeks as she glanced to her friend.

"Oh, hello Detective... I apologize for my outburst. Uh, how may I help you?"

"I'm sorry to inform you ma'am. But at noon today, a man by the name Shane Davis drove his car off the cliff by the main road." Camielle's eyes widened.

"Oh my... Is...is he-?"

"I'm afraid so ma'am. He's dead."

"Thanks for the phone call Malone." They said their good-byes and Cam hung up, a sob escaping her throat. 

"What? What happened? Why was a detective calling?"

  The silenced woman stood slowly and went to the kitchen window. A moment passed and Justice got up, went to her friend, placing her hand on the other woman's shoulder. She felt her shoulders shake slightly. Camielle turned, tears pouring down her face.

"Shane's dead. He killed himself." She fell into the smaller woman's open arms and sobbed.

+++++++++++

Camielle Erikson awoke to a dark, empty house. She vaguely remembered Justice having put her to bed. Pulling a baby blue robe over her cargo shorts and lime green tank top, she wandered down the hall to the kitchen. Justice had left a note saying that "a Detective David Malone stopped by" while she was asleep. There was a plain business card with his work address, email and office number. She flipped it over and on the back of the plain white card was his personal cell and home numbers. Camielle slid the card into her pocket and opened the fridge. The house phone rang and she shut the door to the fridge with a growl. Like magic, when her delicate coffee hand settled on the wall phone... The ringing stopped. Ignoring her protesting stomach, she decided to go watch TV.

In order to enter the living room, Cam had to pass through the entry way. The entry way was cool and dark. The only source of light came from a sliver of moonlight creeping its way through the open door. She paused, staring at the door. She could have sworn it was shut... Justice wouldn't just leave it open. Shane... An icy chill snaked down her spine. No, it wasn't possible. Shane was dead... Shrugging it off, the woman shut and latched the door. Once again, the phone rang. She reached for the wall phone in time for it to go silent. Annoyed, Cam pivoted on her heel and started from the room. But once again, the door was open... The cell phone in her pocket rang causing Cam to jump out of her skin. She laughed despite herself. She flipped it open and was shocked when her voice came out in no more than a mere whisper.

"Hello?"

"You never should have made me hit you. You know what the punishment is for lending your body to other men Camielle..."

THe voice was low and hoarse but she knew to whom it belonged.

"Shane?"

"You're going to pay bitch. But now it's with your life."

Venom dripped off his words and burned a hole into her brain. The line went dead. Camielle dropped the phone, slammed the door shut and latched it once more. Her large eyes frantically searched the room in front of her, seeing nothing but darkness. Then the answer was suddenly clear. David Malone... With trembling hands, she pulled the card from her pocket and sank onto the floor. Cam grabbed her cell and dialed. He picked up after three rings.

"Hello?" She couldn't speak. "Hello? Who is this?"

"D-detective Malone?"

"Miss. Erikson? Is that you? What's wrong?" She began to cry.

"Shane c-called me... He threatened me." Silence.

"Ma'am, that's not possible."

"It was him! He said I was going to pay!"

Sensing her urgency, Malone sighed. "I'll be there in ten minutes."

The minutes went by quickly and soon there was a knock. Cautiously, Camielle opened the door and peered around it. She saw the badge first and shut the door to remove the chain. 

"Come in." 

Camielle had turned on every light in every room. She lead Malone into the kitchen.  He noticed the woman had an open beer bottle beside an empty one sitting on the counter. She offered him a cold one and took a long look. He was stunning. He was six-foot and very well-built. His sleek muscles strained and flexed against his gray t-shirt as he put his arms back and leaned on the counter. His long legs were covered by worn denim jeans. David Malone was as charming as the came and was cursed with the Devil's smile, making women melt when he flashed it. Boyish good looks were gently reflected by short, golden blond hair and electric blue eyes. Just as she remembered... Camielle wasn't taken by surprise although a hint of shock hit Malone as her beauty made itself known.

"So, you claimed to have received a call from Shane Davis?"

His voice was soft and genuine with concern. Probably for her mental health. After all, the guy told her Shane was dead. 

"Miss. Erikson-" she held up a small hand.

"Skip the formality. It's Camielle, you know." he nodded.

"Camielle, I told you this morning. Shane is dead. He committed suicide by driving his car off a cliff."

"Yes, but how do you know?"

The poor woman looked desperate. Putting down her half empty bottle, she crossed the room and sank into a chair. David seated himself across from her. 

"Look Detective... There was a lot of bad blood between Shane and I."

"What do you mean?"

Camielle took a deep breath and prepared to tell her story.