Chapter 1

Sweet, yellow sunshine poured through the open window. Camielle inhaled deeply as a blissful summer breeze drifted through the window. She raised the chalk-white porcelain mug to her lips and grimaced as the bitter coffee ran down her throat. She poured the last of the fast-cooling liquid down the drain of the sink below her and placed the mug inside. 

  Camielle drifted down the hallway of the single level ranch house to her bedroom. As she reached the door, the phone rang. Like a child, she rushed to the bed, flinging herself onto her stomach. She picked up the phone and pressed it to her ear. 

"10am. Just like clockwork." She giggled.

"You sound happy. Anyways, I'm calling to let you know I'll be home at noon instead of this evening." Camielle's heart skipped a beat and she hesitated to respond.

"Cam, you there?"

"Uh, yes. I'm here." Silence... "Shane?" Camielle whispered, feeling fear strike her heart.

"I'll be home at noon." The line went dead before she could respond.

++++++++++++

  Glancing at the clock, Camielle sighed and leaned back against the counter. The clock read 11:45am. She had been cleaning for over an hour. Cam groaned and hefted herself off the tile floor. After making her way to the bedroom, stripping clothes off aching muslces, Cam vanished into the adjoining bathroom. Camielle gazed into the full body mirror on the back of the door. At 23, Camielle Erikson was considered gorgeous even though her beauty was unobtrusive. Her figure was full and athletic, the muscles well toned from years of volleyball. Her coffee colored skin flawless and baby soft. She had long, dark brown hair that flowed graciously to neatly curved hips. Her face was small and heart-shaped. The nose small; the lips full and pouty, colored a dusty rose-blush pink. Her cheekbones were high and sharp. But her eyes were her most favorite feature. They were large and doe shaped. The shade of pure liquid honey with a ring of brown around the pupil. The lashes that covered them were long and fragile. 

  The woman smiled, proud, and got dressed. Unable to decide on make-up, she used very little of it. Skin tones to add to her natural beauty. As she finished, she heard Shane walk through the door. The white, knee length dress she wore flowed and twirled against her bare, athletic legs as Camielle raced to the front room to meet her boyfriend of 18 months.

  Shane Davis was a big man. He towered over Cam at 6 feet and was from Rwandan decent. His eyes were black and narrow. His hair tightly curled and cut short. His voice no longer held an accent after so many years of living in Domingo, Kansas. His shoulders were broad and his chest smooth. Shane Davis was like the after picture on a weight loss commercial. 

"Shane, I'm so glad you're-"

  Shane had cut her off with a vicious slap to the left side of her face. Camielle stumbled backwards, confused, holding her hands to her stinging face. 

"Don't you lie to me Cam. Why were you surprised to have me home so early? Who did you have over?"

"Wha-what? Nobody! I swear Shane. I've been alone for the past two days." Shane's expression softened and he got closer.

"Oh gosh, Cam... I'm so sorry. I- I wasn't thinking." He reached out to her and she flinched away. "Just give me one more chance to make it right."

  Camielle stepped back and closed her eyes, a tear slid down her swelling cheek.

"No Shane." she replied shaking her head. "That was the last time. What you've done is unforgivable and I should've ended it the first time. Get out. I never want to see you again."

  Shane remained silent then turned to leave. He paused at the door and muttered something that sounded like, "This isn't over." Then he was gone. Cam collapsed to the floor and sobbed.