Chapter 13

A/N: Hey guys. Bad news:( This is the last chapter for Over the Edge. I hope it's been enjoyable and that this last chapelter is just as good. I'm going to do my best to tie ul any loose ends. Love you all!!!

---------------

Malone crept forward, gun in hand. At the doorway of Camielle Erikson's house, the yellow police tape still hung; tattered, limp and exhausted from the wind. As he got closer, he realized the front door was slightly, almost unnoticeablely ajar. He lifted his left hand from the Glock and pushed his hand back to signal Corbin to hold position.

"David?" Colette whispered.

Instead of responding, the detective walked up to the door and used the toe of his black and white Nikes to gingerly push it open. It swung into the house with ease. Signalling again, this time to follow, David made his way inside.

The interior of the house was silent, like a lion stalking its prey. The last remaining slivers of daylight lay scattered about on the white carpets. The air had a stale scent to it.

"Take the back of the house." He whispered to his partner.

With only a nod, CC slunked off to the back area of the one story home. David waited until her outline vanished then made his way into the kitchen. Pointless as it began to seem. There was nothing there. Hold on. A light caught his eye. Extremely faint, there was a slip of light protruding from underneath a wood frame door. David threw it open, finding himself staring down a flight of stairs. Odd... In no way could he recall there being a downstairs cellar.

Without a second thought or a glance over the shoulder, the detective meticulously headed down the metal-like stairs. Seconds later, voices drifted to his ears.

"Now, now pretty girl. Shush all the chatter and let me dry those tears."

"Don't touch me!"

"Tsk tsk. Watch your tongue bitch. Or I'll cut it out."

David reached a point where he could now see. Before him, Shane Davis stood with his broad back to Malone. Peering around the giant man, his brilliant ice covered eyes landed on Camielle. She had been placed in the center of the isolated room, and had been what looked to him like zip-tied to a stainless steel chair. Her bedraggled hair stuck out at all ends, unclean and frizzy. It was clear she hadn't eaten in days. Her face and clothes were blood covered from all the times Shane had hit her. There was a fresh black eye, slipt lip and several fresh cuts.

David shifted and Camielle glanced to him, honey eyes widening. Malone lifted a finger to his lips and began to convert a plan.

"What the hell are you looking at?!"

Shane grabbed her head and twisted it back violently. Malone took a step toward Shane's back and aimed the Glock up. Suddenly, Shane sprung to his left, grabbing a knife off the small table and ducked behind Camielle's shaking frame. He lifted the knife to her throat and chuckled.

"Gonna shoot me now Malone? You'd hit this piece of meat but I guess it wouldn't matter..."

"Get away from her Shane."

"Or what? You have no backup Malone. None. And I... I have collateral."

As he spoke, he dug the knife deeper into Camielle's throat. A harsh whimper sounded and a tear slid down her bruised face.

"Drop the knife!"

A sly grin crossed the darker man's face. In a split second, Shane hesitated, the knife faultering. With a shake of his head, Shane drew back and slashed Camielle's neck.

"NO! Camielle!"

Outraged, David aimed quickly for Shane and pulled the trigger. The first slug caught his shoulder as he raised himself from the concrete floor. Paying no notice, he charged for David. A shot resonated off the walls and Shane dropped to the ground in a heap. Malone dashed to the rapidly bleeding woman and used his strength to rip off the zip-ties. Placing the slowly fading love of his life in his lap, he used his shirt to cover the gaping wound on her neck.

"Cam? Come on baby... Talk to me."

"David," she wheezed, "I'm so sorry. I should have told you how much I loved you. I was just afraid."

David shook his head fiercely as tears filled his eyes. Camielle tried again to speak but was interrupted by the blood filling her mouth and lungs. Gently, David picked her up, cradling her to his chest.

"We can get you through this. Stay with me Cam."

David turned and hurried up the stairs.

-------------

(2 weeks Later)

David Malone slid his arm around the woman beside him and gave her a slight squeeze. The weather was quite dreary. Rain dripped off the leaves and clung to the black clothing that adorned the bodies of mourners. The air was clammy and filled with the sounds of sorrow.

"Thanks for doing this." She whispered in his ear.

"Of course. A loss is always in need of company."

Together the couple turned and began to walk the slight ways to David's Chevy Impalpable. Once they reached the car, David grabbed the woman's soft hand and pulled her body close to his.

"I love you David Malone."

He wrapped her in a passionate, warming kiss before responding. Pulling back, he ran his fingers over the new scar on her throat. An everlasting, painful reminder.

"I love you too Camielle."