chapter 20

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

Being stuck hundreds of meters off the ground on a small ledge, so small that even the slightest slip would be the end of it all, was not Akira's idea of a successful breach into the academy. Yes, she was outside the wall, but she needed to be inside, and the only way in was a good distance down on another ledge similar to this one. Akira frowned as she glanced down at the small ledge she stood on. She had never noticed these ledges before in her time, but then again, maybe they were added on later on for some purpose. 

"Well, we could use my tube again. I mean if we attach the claw to this here ledge, the rope should be long enough to get us some of the distance down, we can jump the rest and hope that we land right," Dominique murmured, his gaze on the ledge below. Akira rolled her eyes. Boys, they always had to make things more complicate than they were. 

"Move," she muttered pushing Dominique behind her so that she now stood at the edge of the ledge. She peered down at the ledge that was some way before. 

"Akira what...?" the rest of what Dominique wanted to ask was lost to her as Akira dropped herself over the edge of the ledge. 

Wind rushed past her, and her hair was blown upwards, whipping about as she fell. Yet she ignored it, her eyes on the fast approaching ledge below. She had just enough time to bend her legs before she made impact. The shock of her sudden stop was absorbed through her bent legs and then through the rest of her body as she landed in a crouched position, smack in the middle of the small ledge, a perfect landing. 

Breathing hard Akira peered over the ledge at the ground that was far below, the ground she would have hit had she not made the landing. She straightened and looked up to see Dominique peering over the ledge above, disbelief written on his face at not only what she had just done, but that she had actually made it. 

"Some things are best done the good old fashioned way," Akira said, though she knew that Dominique was too far to hear her. She smiled wryly as Dominique just shook his head. If only he knew how many times she had been forced to fall through the air and try to stick the landing on either her dragon or something else to save her life. Turning she glanced at the window behind her only to see that its bottom ledge was just above her head, making her invisible to anyone who would glance out of it. Satisfied Akira turned away with a smile. 

She looked up once again and motioned impatiently for Dominique to come on down. He looked somewhat uncertain as he seemed to try and calculate the distance down to Akira. For a moment Akira thought that he would chicken out when he suddenly dropped over the edge, mimicking her earlier actions. She noticed the pole in his one hand and only shook her head as half way down he deployed the claw from his tube once again. The rope shot out and caught hold of the ledge above and Dominique gracefully came to a halt a few feet above the ledge where Akira stood. 

Akira watched, her eyebrows raised as Dominique seemed to suddenly realize that he was dangling right in front of the window, in plain sight for anyone passing by. His eyes widened and he pressed the button on his pole to retract the claw and rope. In doing so he abruptly fell, landing awkwardly on the edge of the ledge. He swayed for a moment before he regained his balance. 

Grinning in triumph he raised his eyes to meet Akira's who just shook her head. She turned and lifted her hands to grab hold of the edge of the window and pulled herself up. She stared into the interior to see that it was a small room which looked, if anything, abandoned. Without hesitation she swung her legs over the edge, planting her feet firmly on the ground within. Without bothering to see how Dominique was doing she walked across the small room towards the wooden door. Upon reaching it she placed her ear against it, listening carefully.