[Part Twenty] Bound to the City's Vampire Master

Vote and Comment please!

- Ilianna

We stopped by McDonalds. It was still only 12:14 so we had time, and I did complain about being hungry. Ryder was reluctant of the idea first, but he made sure that there was nothing off before we entered.

The familiar smell of greasy, fried food. The sound of children, and the ever familiar red and yellow logo.

We approached the cash register.

"Hi! Welcome to McDonalds!" said the (bubbly) cashier girl. "How can I help you?"

This was directed at Ryder only.

"Chicken McGrill for me," I said a little loudly. "And French fries. Small."

"Alrighty," she said, still not looking at me. "Anything for you, sir?"

"No," Ryder just said, reaching into his back pocket for his wallet. "You don't want a drink, Kay?"

"Nope. You're not going to eat?"

He shook his head. "Just look at this place. You're just asking for diabetes here."

"Oh yes," the cashier said, though I didn't think she was aware of what she was agreeing to. Employees normally don't admit to the vices of their food.

"How much?" Ryder asked, opening his wallet. My mouth fell open when I spotted a wad of $100 bills.

"Yup," she just said.

Ryder drummed his fingers on the counter impatiently. And then he leaned in closer. The girl smiled, leaning in too, most likely interpreting that as a come on.

"Deafness isn't a good trait for someone working with the customers," he said.

Her smile faded.

Ryder flipped through his wallet, and finally he threw a twenty on the counter. "Just put the change in the tip jar or something. I don't have the time for this."

---------

"Do you need anything?" Ryder asked me. He was watching me eat, but strangely I didn't find that unnerving.

The strange part was seeing him in this sort of environment. It seemed so oddly out of place. "Clothes, shoes, necessities, female needs. Portable, necessary things."

"Female needs?" I asked innocently, tearing open the packet of ketchup with my teeth.

He raised a brow. "Monthly necessities?"

"Monthly necessities?" I asked again, squeezing the packet onto the fries liberally.

"When TOM comes to visit?"

"Tom?" I repeated, scanning the fries for the largest one.

"Pads!" he said a little loudly. "Did you want me to say it?!"

I giggled. The woman who was eating alone in the stall in front of us turned her head a fraction. "Ryder, you're so loud."

He sighed. "So is there anything? I can ask for someone to go and get it. Going to this restaurant alone is a risk."

"No, there's..." I paused for a moment. "There's one thing I need to do. I want to see my mom. I want to explain to her what happened to dad myself, not leave her hanging. And then I'll say goodbye."

"You know what that means right?"

"I know. No one knows he's dead yet. I'll most likely be a suspect."

I took a bite into my food and began explaining everything to him about Abel in a hushed voice.

He burst into peals of laughter when I had finished. I expected anger, sympathy, or something, but not laughter.