[Part Seventeen] Bound to the City's Vampire Master

It's been two months since my last update. More info on why in my message board. Sorry guys!

Anyway, there are 2-3 more parts coming up real soon.

------------------------------

"A bit stubborn and hard-headed. She'll keep on doing something to get what she wants."

"And she can be a bit of a crybaby sometimes."

"She's also-"

"I can hear, you know," I called out irritably to the shit-talking duo.

Apparently, on the way out, my father and Ryder seemed to have hit it off talking about me.

Miffed, I smacked my father playfully on the back.

But I was still supporting him with my arm.

My father turned around to grin at me. "No harm meant, sweetie."

Ryder turned around to grin at me too boyishly, and I wanted to melt just then.

Harumph.

I looked away.

But it felt so strange.

Just the other day, we really were at each other's throats...on the very brink of it.

Then his face grew serious, adopting a sort of thoughtful quality to it.

"I don't like how this is turning out," he muttered quietly, almost to himself. "I haven't run into anything at all. I figured I would have to put up more of a fight...at least with Abel. I don't like how this feels at all."

"So you're saying something's up?" my father asked.

"Probably..."

My father sighed. "I need a terribly long smoke break after this."

"This is ridiculous. There's not even a single security camera, or even a PIR device here. Either they're overly confident, stupid, or something is up. Let's just move quick, but be quiet about it."

And then suddenly Ryder stopped in his steps. He crouched low, pressing his ears to the floor.

"Someone's coming. Many yards away from us, both someone's coming."

I could hear it to, if I strained my ears. Light footsteps. And singing that accompanied the cadence of it.

It was Isabelle; that voice.

"Run!" I shouted. "Towards the sunlight-if we get to the light she can't follow us there-"

Fighting wasn't a choice. It was better to just run, when I was carrying my dad with us.

I heard Isabelle laugh. Her laughter rang against the corroding walls of the warehouse. "Oh, you little darlings can't run away from me! Not possibly!"

We literally ran for our lives. But Isabelle was a vampire, she was fast. I was fast too, but not fast enough. Ryder kept the same pace as I did, but there was no way that my dad could.

"Just leave me," he grunted. He was limping. "She'll get us at this rate."

"Like hell I will!" I said. "I know this will hurt your male pride, but now's not the time!"

I heaved my dad onto my back, carrying him as we ran down the corridor.

"To think that my daughter can carry 159 lbs WHILE running," my dad murmured in disbelief. "If I were one of those parents who'd capitalize on their children..."

It seemed to stretch on infinitely. Just how long was this warehouse that seemed to hold nothing but these metal barrels? But the smell that emanated from them...