Chapter 5.

My mum and Finn are talking for half an hour now, while Bob and I are standing in the kitchen. Just as I'm about to explode and take Bob with me into oblivion the door opens. Bob already talked to my mother this morning, but since it didn't work very well Finn is mine (and probably even Emma and Heather's) last hope. This talking thing with my mum makes me feel like a little child, not like a girl whom will turn eighteen this week. I don't like that feeling at all. I am an adult (almost/soon). The doors open, revealing Finn smiling smugly and even my mother smiling a little. "What do you want as your birthday present?"

I lightly shake my head, forcing a smile. I only want independence. My own independence.

He looks at me with big eyes. ''You don't want anything?''

''I've got everything I need,'' I smile.

Finn touches his chest, just above his heart. ''I'm touched. But don't get to clingy, will you? You're too young for me anyway.''

I shove him away, as he laughs. I look behind me, seeing Bob and my mother suppressing a smile.

''Ha-ha you guys,'' I playfully roll my eyes.

Bob places his hand on Finn's shoulder, leading him towards the door. ''Okay enough, you've got school tomorrow.''

I wave Finn goodbye, when the door closes. I turn towards my mother, shifting uncomfortably. Before my mind could start wandering to today's events my mother speaks up.

''He likes you,'' she says grinning. I roll my eyes.

''I didn't know you were that kind of a type.''

She arches an eyebrow, while starting to bowl some water. I sit on one of these long chairs, my elbows on the counter. I watch how she gathers her strawberry-blonde hair onto one side of her shoulder. Her blue eyes sparkle with curiosity.

''What kind?''

''The kind that can't accept that a girl and a boy can just be friends,'' I answer.

She shrugs, opening the cabinet to get us some tea. ''It's just the truth, you're a beautiful girl how can he not.''

I snort, which turns into a giggle. ''Can we please change the topic? I just want to be friends with him, okay?''

She takes out my favorite green mug, with a big A on it and places it in front of me. ''How about some ground rules of Friday?''

''How about we go to a gynecologist?'' I counter.

''You're such a teenager today,'' She laughs sitting next to me and sipping on her tea.

I playfully roll my eyes, twirling the ends of my hair. ''What about Bob?''

''What about him?''

''Do you like him?'' I ask innocently sipping on my way to hot tea, burning my tongue. Every time. She breaks my eye contact looking around the kitchen.

''Of course I do. He wouldn't be living with us if I didn't,'' She says.

Arrrghh this isn't working. ''You know I don't mean it like that. I mean like him,'' I emphasize the words, in hopes she gets it.

The reaction I get is satisfying enough. Her eyes widen slightly, but enough for me to see. Even her pupils dilate. ''Oh.''

I wriggle my eyebrows. ''Yeah. Oh.''

She shakes her head. ''I don't. I couldn't... .''

''Why not?'' I ask. She seems sad, making me guilty for even asking. ''You're a beautiful woman, he'd be stupid not to-''

''No, no it's not that. I just don't want to," she mumbles, her hand playing with the gold ring on the chain that she never takes off.

Realization hit me way too late. Now it's my time to be speechless. ''Oh.''

The awkwardness afterwards is making the air thicker, making it almost possible to hold it with bare hands. My brain races, trying to find a new topic, to make the situation better. I couldn't focus though, with the words stupid, stupid, stupid repeating in my head. So I speak up the first thing that comes into my mind. ''I saw Harry yesterday and today.''

My mum, who's facing away from me starring at the wall, now turns her head. Her sad eyes hold some of the motherly softness in it and I smile slightly. ''I know you do not like him very much.. .''

''That's true unfortunately I don't.''

''Why?'' I ask curiously. Usually my mum does not open up very often, so when she does I take my chances.

''He's just trouble, constantly fighting with his lovely parents. And he's very, very rude.''

Just as I'm about to ask another question, the phone rings and I sigh. There goes my moment. My mum rises to her full height getting the phone which lays next to the sink. ''I need to get this.''

''Okay, yeah I'll just go upstairs. I have some homework anyway. Call me when you need help with dinner?''

She nods, kissing my cheek. ''We should talk more often.''

I smile walking up the stairs and into my room. I'm thankful for Finn's help. I know my mother can be taught some times, and I am tired of discussing with her on why I can't got out like normal teenagers do.

"It's not like I don't trust you, I don't trust the world outside," she had been saying over the years. She's like this since we moved here. Since the death of my father.

It's already getting dark outside, so I decide to call Emma.

She picks up at the second ring. ''Guess where I am.'' She says excitement lacing her words. Emma is not a big fan of hellos.

''The gym...uh... the mall...uh Urban Outfitters maybe?'' She's practically living there.

She groans.

''Heather and I are getting your birthday present!''

I groan.

''Please do not get me something too expensive.'' I get up from the bed and walk over to my bookshelf, looking over my many books.

''Calm you down will you? It's nothing big, it's your damn birthday and we already got it so shut it.''

''Yes, Ma'am.'' I bite my lower lip lightly. ''So Finn came over today and talked with my mum.''

I get on my bed and get out my diary and a pen, absently starting to doodle on the next free page, waiting for the shuffle to end on the other side. 

There is a 99,9% chance that I'm on speaker now. ''Aaaaand?''

''I'm free for the night.'' I say, already holding the phone away from my ear as the shrieks appear.

•••••••••••••

A/N.: hi guys! Just wanted to say thank you, over 200 reads in less then a week! I know if may sound not much, but it is kinda awesome!

Anyway I hope you liked this chapter, vote and comment if you did! Have a nice day! Xo