A few of her favorite things

With that, Robbie left for home again and Sportacus approached her, "Now, may I have the honor of speaking with you alone as well?" He asked. Jade looked over at Robbie, leaving town. She nodded looking up at him, "If Robbie can trust you, then I should give you a chance."
Sportacus looked awestruck, Robbie trusted him? He shook off the amazement quickly and started walking about the park with her, "I'm very pleased to hear that."
She looked down at her converse as they walked, "I'm assuming you want to know what happened this morning."
"I have an idea of what it might be, but yes. I would like to know."
"I ran away from my home because..." Oh dear, she didn't think it would be this hard to confess something so awful. She used to tell everyone back home but they never really listened to her.
"Why did you run away, Jade?"
"Many reasons. I was bullied in school. My teachers didn't like or believe me when I gave them A+ homework, friends are hard to make at home..."
"Is there another reason, maybe something to do with the man chasing after you this morning?"
Jade pulled her sleeves down, noticing her bruise was showing, Spo noticed the gesture. "He...just wanted me to stay. I just couldn't, I'm just another person walking along the streets of BusyTown."
"He said he was going to punish you."
"Yeah, ground me. He's my Dad, if you didn't notice."
"Oh, I assumed." Spo was now filled with worry, "Does he do anything else?"
"No. He's just a jerk. He grounds me and sends me to my room a lot."
"What about your mother? She must be worried about you."
"Nope, I never met her. I've heard a lot of stories about her. They all end the same, she ran away too."
"I'm so sorry, Jada. That's just terrible."
"Yeah, but what can you do...when trouble finds you, you either fight it or run."
Sportacus had a bit of respect for her now, he knew something was amiss when her father came in town in an angry, drunken haze. There was also something amiss with her, there was something she wasn't telling him.
"Well, I think it's about time to take you to your new place. I hope you're not afraid of heights."
"Not at all. What, do you live in an airplane or something?"
Spo pointed upwards, "something like that."
She stared up at the air ship with her mouth a gape, "that is where you live?"
"Yeah, come on in." He called for the ladder and they both climbed up to the inside of the ship.
"Oh my God!" She exclaimed. "This is amazing."
Sportacus laughed, "thanks." He led her down a short hall to an empty room, pretty sizable for one person, "I'll get a bed for you today. Anything else you would like? It is your room after all."
"You...want me to tell you what I want?"
"Yes. Don't worry, even if you don't intend to stay here forever, this is your place."
She looked away as a tear fell from her face. Spo carefully laid a hand on her shoulder, "what's wrong?"
"I'm sorry, it's just...I've been in this town for about an hour and everyone has been so kind to me."
"Welcome to LazyTown." He said with a laugh. He led her inside her new room and sat on the floor with her, "So, tell me about yourself?"
"I thought I already did."
"I mean, what do you like to do?"
"Oh." She thought a moment. "I do like getting out a lot. I don't like being inside all the time."
"Excellent. What do you like to do outside?"
"Walk, explore. I'd love to try hiking."
"We'll go hiking soon, then. What else? Any hobbies?"
"I...um. Sing? And write."
"That's great that you love to sing. What do you write?"
"Music, lyrics, poems. None of them are very good though."
"I'm sure they're great." Spo looked about the room. "What are some of your favorite things? Your favorite song, color, book?"
"Well, I love greens and blues. I can never pick a favorite song...but if I had to, it would be We were Giants by House of heroes. Hmmm...and my favorite book? The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."
"That's a great book." He stood up. "I'm going to introduce you to the other kids, and I have to go get your bed."
"Oh I'd much rather...go and visit Robbie?"
"You do want to meet the other kids too right?"
"Yeah, but I think right now I'd rather stick with you or Robbie...meeting too many people would overwhelm me."
"Okay, that's fine. You're welcome to stay here or come down and see what you can see." Sportacus left the airship and Jade was left alone in her room. Her room had a closet and an oval window, looking over the town.
"Why are they being so nice to me?" She left the air ship to go find Robbie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sportacus met the kids down in the park, "Hey Stephanie, I need your help."
"Sure Sportacus, what's up?"
Stephanie was about the same age as Jade now, he thought Steph might have some idea of what to do with her new room."
"Well, I'm sure you heard the news that we have a new person here in town."
"Yeah, I can't wait to meet her."
"You will soon, I just ant her to get settle in."
"Where is she staying?"
"In the airship." He said reluctantly. "I think she needs a bit of protection."
"From what?" She asked concerned.
"Her father, I think she's been abused."
"Really?"
"Yes, but pleas don't say anything else to the kids or anyone. I'm not sure yet and I don't want rumors spreading around...especially if Miss Busybody catches wind of it."
"My lips are sealed."
"Perfect, now let's go shopping."
"Yay!"
They left the park and went off to fix up Jade's room.