Chapter Two: When No Should Mean No.

We explore what it means to be someone else’s keeper. We will touch the topic on how we can see the dangers of our bad habits and the good prospects in our right ones.

.............................................................

Knowing how to stop ourselves from doing what is harmful to others is an important thing that every woman should indulge in, if not for anything but to make a happy home and to be a better person. Willfulness is a strong emotion that makes living and life itself interesting. It is a necessary human potential that make us who we are.

Stop and check yourself when you know you are doing something that doesn’t seem right. Most people say they find it hard to turn things down. Many say that they don’t have the will to say no even when their life is dependent on the outcome of that decision. Women are strong-willed naturally but most of us loose this while growing up. We leave it behind in the turmoil of our childhood or adolescence and grow up with that vacuum it has left in us.

No should always mean no. It is a very important statement that everyone should have readily available at the tip of their tongues. We should learn how to put a stop to something that poses danger to us, our family or friends. When we say no, we should really mean no. There is absolutely no point in saying no to something that has become a habit that will always pull itself back to you.

Peer pressure is a social vice that people frown at. The issue is that peer pressure don’t just happen with kids and adolescents. When we let others rule our life and our thoughts, we are creating a path way to destruction or an uncertain future.

Our colleagues will always have an influence on us. The woman next door that seemed so prim and proper will always have something to hold over you, but as an adult that knows right from wrong we should learn how to turn down unnecessary favors. We have people looking on us to make decisions that will impart their life, so it is up to us to give more care to what we say in affirmation to people’s suggestions.

Our experiences make us who we are but it doesn’t necessarily have to be that determining factor in the dealings we do in present life. Even if it borders on issues on family and friends. Nothing teaches us more than what you made yourself to learn. Mistakes are made for us to learn from so that when it happens again, we are prepared for it.

We should learn to know that the people that are most important in our life are an integral part of our life itself. Who we are as parents and spouses is a very important role that we shouldn't take lightly. What we feel, how we feel about issues, the way we feel about stuff and even societal acceptance and rejection has a way of reflecting on our relationships within our homes. We are the pillar of the home and when we have a dent, the crash of the building called the home is sure.

Selfishness is good but only when it has no adverse effect on our family and friends. A bad habit will always be a bad habit no matter how good you think it makes you feel. Alcohol is very refreshing to some, they can pretend to drown their sorrows in it but it doesn’t mean that thing that has driven you to the bottles will go away.

Drugs makes many feel good about themselves, and their situations seem to evaporate at that moment but for how long? We have kids that love us. We have husbands that trust in us to make their home a happy one. Whatever issues we might have to deal with, we should not let it rule us. Our family should be the most important thing in our life. What we are going through can be shared with them and yours is not the only one, it is happening everywhere.

Life is a gift and it should be treated as such. It is filled with complications and it makes us who we are or who we turn out to be. It is not uncommon for us a mortal too. The vibe that comes from our negative positions will always make us question how good the positive is. You will start to see the uncertainties in the things that use to give you joy.

Many crave worldly goodies with the claim that it will make life for their kids easier but I would tell you this, deep down it is fear of letting yourself down and not totally caring for your kids. You want to be like Miss A. or Mrs. B. when you know quite alright that what these people have is not what you need thus not what you should have. Learn not to be selfish in your deeds as selfishness brings nothing but destruction to those that indulge in it.

The Almighty is not concerned with your worldly possessions. Your pledges to religious houses shouldn’t be because Mrs. Woolworth gave the mosque a bus so you must give the same mosque thousands of naira worth of musical instruments. Then it will have no meaning any significance.

We should know what hold us together and respect it and not let anything that we might pick up from the people we relate with outside the home destroy us.

You are you. When things get tough you need to deal with it solely for the reason of not affecting others in your life. The consciousness of your actions should be enough to steer you away from making decisions that will make your life miserable in the end. We are free spirited and have our life ahead of us. When we know what is best for us its easier to consider what is worst for others and stay away from it.

Everyone is prone to satisfying their emotions be it that of pleasure or pain. At times it might be happiness and sadness but one thing remains, these emotions might lead us to do things we won’t ordinarily do.

The soul craves to be fed with something that will make it grow and thus we should be careful that we don’t end up feeding it with the wrong things that might make our journey to a self-sufficient life a hard one.

Say no for as many times as necessary, it might just be what you need to make life easier and happier. Nobody knows where one’s happiness truly lies unless you find it.