Chapter Fifteen: Strawberry Ice Cream

“This guy better be on his best behavior,” I mumbled as Adam and I walked down the stairs. After finally showering and getting rid of all those sticky junk from my body, I dressed up decently and dried my hair. Adam was waiting right outside my door so the both of us can feel the wrath of my mother together.

Adam chuckled next to me, running a hand through his wet hair.

We heard laughter from the living room and when we peeked through the entry way, my mother threw her head back as she was clearly amused at what Axel said.

First, I have to figure out why he’s here in the first place.

“That really happened?” my mother asked through her chuckles at whatever amazing story Axel was telling. He nodded which made her laugh a little harder.

Adam and I shared a look, obviously puzzled and suspicious at what Axel was secretly plotting against me. There is no way he could be this nice.

When my mother turned her head and saw that Adam and I were cleaned up, she stood up from the couch and examined me. She nodded her head and smiled in approval, “Better.”

I offered a look of gratitude before she turned me around to the door, “We better prepare dinner, we have two hungry boys waiting.”

Before she thoroughly pushed me out of the room, I gave Axel a warning look, silently telling him to just drop whatever he’s trying to do.

Soon enough, plates of food were on the table as I sat next to my mother, while Adam and Axel was sitting across from us.

I’m just glaring at Axel from across the table as he happily munched on the food my mother graciously served him.  

He better say something to mom before I strangle him.

“So Axel, what got you into Hollywood?”

The question my mother just asked piqued my interest. I focused my attention to Axel, curious on how the hell somebody as cocky and egotistical as him got into the big league known as the celebrity life.

He looked taken aback by this question, his body tensed but after I saw him took a few deep breaths, he replied, “Long story,” he replied vaguely, offering my mother a polite smile, “I’m just thankful that my manager found me.”

I blew a strand of hair that fell to my face as I let out a frustrated sigh. Here I was thinking that I could grab some materials for blackmail.

Mom still has yet to bring up the engagement problem, knowing her, she was just warming up Axel. In a few snaps, she’ll be bombarding the poor guy with so much questions he won’t be able to formulate a single answer for one of them.

“I’m just glad that my daughter finally has somebody to help her through this town,” she said, gratitude leaking in her voice, “I know that she’s struggling, it’s obvious that she’s not completely happy. Please take care of her.”

I bit the inside of my cheek as I looked away from all the occupants of the room. I could feel their eyes on me, watching as I fidgeted in the midst of this compromising situation.

She wasn’t wrong, but she didn’t need to point that out – especially in front of Brooks.

“Sophia?” my mother gently called, I slowly switched my gaze back to her.

When my eyes passed Adam, he had his face plastered with concern, his expression was clearly asking me if I was alright.

“Don’t worry,” we heard Axel say, turning our attention him, “I’ll take care of her.”