Mia, Oh Maya

Maya had been getting better in Ryan's opinion. It'd been a month since the incident and Maya still hadn't been to work.

"Hey baby?" Ryan yelled, coming in from school one day.

"In the kitchen." Ryan grinned. Foooood. She wrapped her arm around Maya's waist and kissed her neck.

"Hmm, cooking up something good, are you?" Maya smiled and turned to kissed Ryan's lips.

"I am indeed."

"I meant to ask you, when are you going back to work?" Maya froze, her body tensing up. Ryan ran her hands down Maya's arms. "I'm sorry to ask, I was just wondering. You know you can talk to me about anything." She slowly relaxed and took a deep breath. She put the spoon down for the pasta she was making and turned around.

"I... don't know if I want to be a police anymore Ry." She mumbled. Ryan was shocked. Maya had said that at first, but she didn't think she meant it.

"Baby, you mean that?" Maya shrugged.

"I don't know. I just never want to go through what I had to again. I never want to have to kill someone again." She took a deep breath. "I love that job, I never thought anything would make me want to give up my badge. I don't know what else I'll do with my life if I'm not a cop. And God, I wanted to be an FBI agent so badly. One thing changed it all, and it just makes me feel stupid."

"It's understandable baby. I can't even promise you you won't ever have to do it again. But, this job is something you love. It makes you happy. It just depends on what you really really want. And, I'll be here with you no matter what you decide." Maya sighed and nodded.

"Okay."

"Now, start cooking again." Ryan said, squeezing Maya's butt. Maya rolled her eyes and hit Ryan playfully.

"Ass."

"I know right." Ryan said winking and glancing at Maya's. "I've got to pick up Mia from school. In like ten minutes."

"How about you bring her by?" Maya asked. Ryan grinned, Mia would love this. So would Ryan.

She kissed Maya's cheek and went to pick up Mia.

Whenever Ryan has to pick Mia up, she's to drive her father's truck. She drove to the school quickly and waited in the long line.

Her parents had finally picked up Mia on New Year's Eve. She was an energetic 6 year old girl. She seemed to like being with them. Ryan loved her already and so did Maya. She was confused to know that Maya and Ryan were such "close friends", but she didn't mind. She said she liked it that way.

Ryan moved up in the line until she was in front of the building. She saw Mia running towards the truck. Her teacher helped her inside and she grinned widely.

"Thank you! Hey Ryan. School was amazing."

"That's great Mia. I take it you had a great recess?"

"Yup! Where are we going?" She asked swinging her feet slightly and moving her head.

"Don't get too excited-"

"To see Maya?!" She yelled and Ryan laughed.

"Yep, we're going to see Maya." She clapped excitedly then stopped.

"Wait, you said don't get too excited." She slowed her claps down and whispered. "Yay." Ryan laughed at her. Mia knew she was only kidding. She ruffled up Mia's hair and Mia giggled.

"Ryan?"

"Hmm?"

"You and Maya are special friends right?" Ryan nodded. Sure, what's the difference. "So, does that mean you'll stay special friends forever or get married like your mom and dad?" Ryan was caught off guard with that question.