Misunderstanding (Nick x Reader)

It hurt like hell, having a broken heart. Being alone in a room with the guy who had done it made it one-hundred-percent worse. You sighed, leaning back against the wall and staring blankly at the ceiling, letting yourself feel sorry for a while.
It was just you and Nick alone in the safe house at the moment. Ellis, Coach, and Rochelle had gone out looking for more supplies while you stayed there, guarding the safe room. You supposed there is safety in numbers but why, of all the people in your group, did you have to be stuck with him?
Earlier that day, Ellis had made the grand decision of telling Nick (without your permission) what you thought about him. The other three had known of your liking towards him; Rochelle thought of it as being adorable, and kind of relieving. You supposed it was, seeing as how there might be some chance at normality in a broken world. Ro was just going to let it be, as was Coach, and maybe it would happen eventually.
But Ellis had decided that it needed to happen now. And boy, did that blow up in both of our faces.
~FLASHBACK~
"Nick, hey Nick!" The southern man called out.
His cries slightly annoyed the older man, so much so that his face showed his frustration.
"What, Ellis?" He snapped.
"Well, I just wanted to let ya in on a lil' secret of (Y/N)'s."
Nick's face scrunched up in confusion.
"Why would I care about that?"
"Cus' she likes ya!" Ellis blurted out, not a care in the world.
Nick began to laugh.
And laugh.
And laugh, tears nearly coming to his eyes.
He finally calmed down some, wiping some of the wetness from his eyes with his index finger.
"Oh, now that's rich," he chuckled, continuing to walk on, out of the sugar mill.
In that moment, he, unknowingly, left behind a broken-hearted (Y/N), tears coming to her eyes as she tried to calm herself down enough to keep up with the group ahead of her.
~FLASHBACK OVER~
A sudden voice broke you from your thoughts and recent memories.
"What are you crying about, sweetheart?" Nick asked you, his tall figure looming over you.
"Nothing," you snapped, not really wanting to talk to anyone at the moment.
"Jeez, the hell's your problem? You on your period or something?" His face contorted into one of disgust, but his eyes held some sort of amusement.
"I said fuck off, Suit! I don't want to talk to you." You practically yelled at him, your voice cracking at the end of your sentence.
You pulled your knees up to your chest, hiding your face in your legs and trying desperately not to cry. You felt Nick slide down the wall and sit next to you, wrapping an arm around your condensed form.
"Hey, hey. What's eatin' you? I've never seen you look this shitty before." He spoke, using a softer tone than before.
You looked up at him, your face red and tears threatening to fall.
"Are you serious right now? After Ellis told you.. and you just laughed? What the hell is your problem, Nick?" I growled, burying my face back into my knees.
The man thought for a moment, confused by your words, but then suddenly a realization hit him, and he understood. Ah, shit. You'd heard. How was he going to explain himself to you? He mentally cursed at himself, wishing you had never heard him, or better yet, that Overalls had never opened his big mouth.
"(Y/N), I wasn't laughing at you. I'm sorry that ya heard me, but it's a misunderstanding, I swear—"
"Save it." You cut him off.
"Listen to me, (Y/N), I was laughing because I thought Ellis was joking. You're a nice piece of ass," he paused, then added, "with a great personality too. I thought I wouldn't even have a sliver of a chance with ya, and here comes Overalls, blabbing about you having a crush on me?"
You stayed silent, but looked up at him, staring into his eyes, looking for any hint of him lying, but finding nothing but a look of love and adoration.
"You really mean it?" You asked, hesitantly.
He let out an airy chuckle.
"If I didn't, would I do this?"
He leaned in, pressing his lips against your own. Your eyes widened in shock, but soon fluttered closed, melting into the kiss. You soon had to pull away due to lack of air, but you simply stared into eachother's eyes for a little while, just enjoying the company of the other person.
You smiled, glad it had been just a misunderstanding.