Change of course

Chapter Two

I wake up, feeling better than ever, a raw steak is sitting by my mattress. I frown; Master never gives us a good meal unless… ‘Oh Crap!’ I remember, ‘I am going to the auction tonight!’ I stand, my wolf devouring the steak in seconds and I dart out of the room. I hurry to the kennels. I enter my room that was unlocked with the door slightly ajar. I slow my pace as I enter. Shyla, Daisy, and Quincey are sitting on my bed. All three of them jump up but Daisy says, “Come on! We have to go to the guest room to clean you up!” Daisy grabs my collar and gives it a rough pull and I growl, she turns on my, her eyes darkening and fangs coming out. She hisses, “Don’t make me lose my patience with you!” I drop my head and hurry along. Daisy was a hired vampire that worked for master. Shyla and Quincey were humans that were bought like me. I am taken into the guest bedroom and Daisy yells, “Shyla, Quincey, take that mutt in there and wash her down, then blow-dry her hair and brush it. Then bring her out here!” Shyla and Quincey quickly hurry into the bathroom and I follow. They fill the bath and I step in, letting the water soak through my heavy coat. I let out a sigh and they scrub me clean with soap and then conditioner.

When they are finished getting me ready for Daisy, I walk back into the room where Daisy leaps on me with a collar in her hand. She takes off my other collar as I struggle with her. She clips on my new collar and I stop moving, she leans down and says, “Good wolf, you know exactly what’s on your neck. So behave and you won’t get shocked.” She gets off my back and looks at Shyla and Quincey who look down. Daisy hollers, “You are dismissed, so get out of my sight before I decide I am thirsty!” I roll my eyes, it was just a threat, master won’t allow anyone but the royal family or his own to drink from the humans. Shyla and Quincey still are afraid of all vampires so they rush out of the room. Daisy says without looking at me, “I am giving the remote to Master, you go and wait by the front door. You should see, two wild cats and a human already there.” And with that, she was gone. I slinked out the door and down the stairs. I padded across the tiled floor and got to the front door. I trotted over and stood by Mahow. She looked at me with sorrow in her eyes. I knew what she was afraid of.

**Flashback**

I was five years old, just got sold by my first master and I was in a pen with two other young girls, a cat and a human. We were being auctioned off. I huddled close to the others and a man came by and looked in the cage. He sniffs the air and says, “I’ll buy the human for 2,000 dollars. The human left and so I said, “My name’s Payden, I’m a Timber wolf.” Mahow looks at me and says, “I’m Mahow, a snow leapard.” I nod and say, “Nice to meet you.” “Same here.” Then a old vampire walks by and says, “I’ll take these last two off your hands for 5,000 dollars. The auctioneer nods saying, “Good, now I am done for the day.

**End of Flashback**

I sigh, pulling a few stings and talking with her mentally, “I know, we have been through twenty-two owners together in the last twelve years.” Mahow mentally sighed and nodded. We hear and clank, clank and know that master was coming. I spotted him, walking with his metal snake cane. I try to hold my lips down but they come up in a snarl. Mahow bites the side of my neck gently and I pull my lips back down. Master announces, “Come now, to the auction house.” And he pushes the human out first and the lion follows. Mahow sighs and scrunches up her nose in protest but she follows, her tail swinging from side to side. I shake my head as she shows her discomfort. I then trot after her and nudge her shoulder before we both get into the limo. I leap in and a pain erupts in my neck, making me fall to the ground, twitching with pain as I was surprised by the shock. I look up and there is Jackson, the Master’s nephew, holding the control for my electric collar.

‘Ah Hell.’

Author’s note:

I know it is going slowly but I hope I will have the next three posted before tonight. Plus they will be longer now.