History and Future

Chapter Ten

Payden’s POV:

It is back in 2050, when the war first started. My mom always told me she was a young five year old.

I was in her shoes.

Running for my life as the pack sprinted ahead of me. I scream, as the hissing gets louder, meaning they’re closing in. I duck my head as an angry snow-white wolf leaps over me. My father towers above the vampires, even when they stand as tall as they can get.

He growls and fights, but yelling in my head to run. But, I was to shocked to run.

Soon a vampire grabbed my father and pulled him against him before grabbing his hand, and with a quick short movement…. My father’s neck was broken and his life taken.

I whine as they approach.

“This one is young, she can be retrained.” And he throws my small body at a woman.

“Make her change and get her some clothes. We will take her to an auction soon enough.”

I leap awake, sweat pouring down my face saying, “It was just that reoccurring nightmare. It is 3017 now, sixty-seven years after the war started on that day.” I sigh, “I can’t believe the wolves and cats would be so weak as they let the war last two days.”

I stand up and walk to the bathroom. I changed out of my clothes and quickly changed into my wolf.

“Payden?”

I jump at the sound of Mahow’s voice in my head.

“You awake yet?”

“Yes, Mahow, I had that nightmare about my mom again.”

“Oh, which one?”

“The day the Vampires started the war.”

“Oh… I have something to tell you.”

“Ok, what?”

“Well, um, ah. You can’t tell anyone… Only Colton to warn him, but good thing you’re in wolf form so they can’t see your emotions. Don’t let the camera see you eyes.”

“Ok, now what’s the big deal?” I choke on the last few words, hoping Colton isn’t in danger. Fury quickly over took the fright.

“I found out from Dawson that they are luring in Colton to kill him. You’re the lure. Colton has no heir , so the pack would be left stranded when he died. Their only hope would be you, their Alpha Female. They would try to rescue you, the whole pack, but it would only lure them into a rap. They would be captured and the ones who can be ‘retrained’ will be ‘retrained’ and sold as slaves.”

I let out a mental gasp and quickly blocked her out, repeating it all to Colton, who I could tell, by the few words he said after I told him, that he was pissed off and about to kill somebody.

I whined, “Colton? Honey, don’t be angry… That’s… That’s what they want. They want you to be angry.”

I could sense him calm down a little, “You’re right Payden. I need to calm down. I have to go and warn the pack now. I love you, my soul mate.”

“I love you to Colton.”

Mahow’s POV:

I sigh after I tell Payden. The vampires would figure it out soon enough and, sure enough, Dawson will blame me. Meaning I will get beat to a pulp.

I sigh again as I wander around the castle since Dawson let me go after I went to his room and changed out of my clothes and into my cat.

My inner chatte fought for the reins as I refuse to let her gain control. I walked up to the door leading outside and slipped out as it was sitting open. I padded over to the edge of the trees and climbed the closest to me and lay down, ignoring the feeling to get down and walk further into the trees.

I watch below me as a silent black cat walks below me. I knew instantly this was my mate. I leap down with grace, landing behind him with a silent thump. I watch as he turns on his heels and stares into my eyes. His voice broke into my head, “Mine.”

“Mine.”

The Panther nodded, “What is your name?”

“Mahow”

“Mine is Quin. I am Beta of the Reacon Pack.”

‘Oh hell.’