Discovering

"Where is that spring you were talking about?" I asked impatiently.

"Well, I don't really remember." Luke confessed, rubbing the back of his neck. I raised an eyebrow.

"When I herd you scream, I ran out and didn't look at me surroundings." Luke said. I looked over at Codie, the injured dog was slowly limping behind. I had him attached to a vine, so if he pulled back, I could tell.

"We also need to find some food." I pointed out, sigh.

"Yes we do," Luke started. He looked up at the sky and then at me again.

"And we need to set up camp." Luke finished. I nodded and we started walking again.

"Okay, what's our plan?" I asked, as a loud crack of thunder sounded from above us.

He laughed, "Guess we need to get our asses moving." I didn't smile.

"Okay. Codie and you will go find a place to set up camp, and I'll go get water, and when we're done, we both go find food." Luke suggested, looking around.

"Okay, sounds great. I guess I'll see you in a bit?" I said, uneasy.

"Yeah, see ya." Luke said and walked the other way.

"Okay, where do I start?" I muttered to myself.

Codie and I headed for a bunch of trees, hoping to find something. I think it was ideal to find a cave or a rock that was sheltered. But we could live in a tree, but we couldn't fit Codie in there. I guess we're on the ground then. Codie and I walked through trees trying to find a place to set up, but we found nothing. I tripped over a root and smacked my face off the ground. I collected the last bit of my dignity, got up and continued walking. Passing a couple trees that could make good shelters, I found a good place. It was a cave sort of. It was a big rock that hung over a bit, and it had an opening on the inside. Growth covered half of roof of the shelter, which was unsettling. Dropping Codie's leash, I ventured inside the dark cave.

I carefully placed my feet and was careful not to trip. I went to the north wall and the wall was sturdy and it wasn't going to fall anytime soon. I went around the whole cave and it was perfect, sure it was a little cold, but we can make a fire. I happily went back out to Codie who was slumped against a tree.

"Here buddy." I called him in. He came slowly trotting in and slumped himself against the cold wall. 

I left him and went to find Luke, which I knew was a very bad idea. I tried to follow the same way I came, but didn't succeed very well. Tripping over multiple roots and keeping my eyes peeled for huge ass spider webs, I finally found my way back when I was grabbed from behind. I screamed loudly as the thing picked me up and was running to the pool of water now in front of me. The thing jumped in and I went down with it. The warm water enclosed my body and I felt the same fear as I felt when the boat sank.

Another scream escaped my lips and water came into my mouth. I quickly closed my mouth to limit the water coming in. The thing swam away, only seeing the small bubbles of its movements. I opened my eyes, but I could only see blurry water and the faint greenery that had grown at the bottom. My lungs burned as I swam for the surface. The surface of the water seemed so far away. I broke through the warm water that felt like a brick wall. I gasped some air and tried to stay above water. Wiping the brown hair that was plastered to my face, I looked around for who or what had dragged me under. There, on the side, sat Luke. He was laughing.

"Dude? What the fuck?!" I yelled at him. My cheeks flamed.

"Well, you weren't paying any attention so I thought I would attack you." Luke said still laughing, stretching his arms over his head.

"Well, now, we're soaking wet!" I screamed at him, and swam towards the edge. Even my shoes were drenched. As soon as I was out of the water, I regretted it. The nice warm breeze now felt like an arctic wind.

"Well, at least I got to scare you." Luke said, obviously unaffected by the breeze.

"Really?!" I yelled, trying to hide the teeth chattering.

"Well, without me, you wouldn't have survived." Luke smirked. Oh hell no! I will not tolerate that.

"Oh yeah? Name 1 example." I challenged, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Okay. Getting you water, finding the spring again. And I don't need you to survive." Luke protested. Fuck. He's right.

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm smart." I said, he already knew how smart I was, he was just being an ass.

"At least I'm not a nerd." Luke poked, smirking. I rolled my eyes.

"At least I'm not a dumb jock." I shot at him.

"Touché." Luke paused, "Name 5 reasons that I need to survive."

"Okay. 1) I can tell which berries are edible. 2) I can tell if water is clean. 3) I know how to make a shelter. 4) I was in scouts until I was 12. And 5) I can make tools or weapons." I said. Luke looked totally dumbfounded. I smirked, as he stared.

"Okay so your smart. But I have my strength." Luke really wanted to fight with me, he will lose.

"Example please." I pushed running my fingers through my hair.

"Well, I can reach high coconuts, I can fight off things, I can do many things." Luke was so cocky. He smirked at my glare.

"Oh, well I left something out. I have a demon dog!" I told him. Luke laughed.

"Codie is not a demon. He's so fluffy." Luke chuckled, throwing bits of greenery in the suddenly calm water, making soft ripples.

"Oh yeah? Well, when I was little, it was a halloween night. Mom went over to see her friend for a second and she left me with Codie. I was sitting on the ground when a man put me over his shoulder. I screamed and Codie attacked the man. By the time the man put me down, that man needed serious medical attention. I heard that his leg was amputated." I said. Luke narrowed his eyes at me, and shrugged.

"Still. He's so cuddly," Luke said, I sighed. Standing up, I brushed off the growth off my jeans.

"I'm going back to the shelter, whether or not you come its up to you," I said, heading back through the maze of death.

"M'kay." Luke said, quickly scrambling up and following me.

"Be careful, there are a lot or ro-" I said before almost tripping on a root. I waited for the blow, but it didn't come. Then I realized. Luke's arm was snaked around my waist, stopping me from falling. I stood up as he removed his arm.

"Thanks," I said, with a smile. Luke smirked.

"Now do you believe you need me?" He asked, I shook my head.

"Nope. You wish." I said, stepping over the root.

"To the shelter!" Luke said and took off running. He had his left fist in front of him like Superman. I giggled and chased after him.