Meal Preference

A/N: 3 chapters to go!!!!

*********
(Autumn's POV)

I crunched on a piece of an apple doused with pineapple juice. The apple was bitter now, I don't think I could eat it again. I look at the yellow inside, and toss the core aside. Luke and Codie went out to go get a deer, and I got to eat apples. The thought of them makes me gag. Sighing, I grabbed my bow and quiver and headed out of the cave. I was headed to the ocean. I pulled an arrow form my back and set it on the string. Pushing my way through the leaves and branches. Stepping over roots and stray grass made it difficult to walk. The beach wasn't too far, but it was a small distance. Even though it was short, it was gruelling and tiring. Let alone, I haven't been sleeping. Nightmares have been too horrible. Luke's snoring hasn't helped either, but I learned to deal.

The sun-lit sand came into view soon enough. As I approached, the waters tide was high, and fast. The wind was a strong gust that made a bit of sand fly into my face and my hair to cover my eyes. Waves crashes against the sand and made loud noise. I flipped my hair back and started for the waters edge. I pulled the arrow back on the bowstring and aimed in the water and waited for a fish. After a couple moments of waiting, I stepped into the water, letting the coolness seep through my shoes. I pulled the bowstring as far as it could go and closed one eye and waited. My hand started to shake from the tension and my anxiety for 1 fish grew more persistent. Finally, a fish- only a small one- came into view. I straightened my posture and followed the fish's movements with my own. It slowed a bit and I let my fingers slip off the string. The arrow shot from my bow and went slashing into the water, skewering the fish. I smiled at my victory and bent down to grab the fish, but I fell face first into the water. I gasped at the impact. It wasn't cold -the waters were quite warm- but it had surprised me. Wetness seeped through every inch of my clothing. I sat up in the water too see a smiling Luke.

"What'd you do that for?" I asked laughing. Luke shrugged with a cheeky smile. I grabbed the tail end of the arrow, that went straight through the fish and tried to stand up, just to be pushed down my Luke again.

"You aren't aloud up." He said jokingly. I sat up.

"C'mon. I'm hungry!" I complained. Lifting the fish up out of the water.

"No time for food." Luke said taking the fish from my grasp. He threw it aside and smiled at me. I quickly sprang up to me feet and ran in the opposite direction away from him. My bow and quiver were still in my hands, they slowed me down a lot. So, I threw them aside as I heard Luke's loud footsteps in the water behind me. I took a sharp turn into the deeper water. I ran until the water was up to my knees, then, I nosed dived into the water. I held my breath and kept my eyes closed. I could no longer hear Luke behind me. When I surfaced, I noticed I wasn't far from the shore- and Luke was swimming close to me.

"You know, water can't keep me away from you." He called, dropping into the water, out of my sight. I kicked my legs through the water, keeping myself afloat. I swiftly waded my arms back and forth, waiting. Luke still hasn't popped up from the water and I'm starting to get worried. But, my worry didn't last for long because Luke popped up in front of me. I jerked backwards with a shriek but Luke got a strong hold on my upper arm and held me up.

"As I said before, not even water can keep me away from you." He said smiling. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Your cute." I said sarcastically.

"I know." He said. He smiled, his charming smile. I still remember being in class after class, sitting in the back of the classroom waiting for school to start and I'd watch all the students pile in. Even after Abby came in, I'd watch. Until I saw him. All of the girls fawned over him- including me. Total popular guy. I knew I could never get a date with him. He didn't even talk to me. Until he smiled, and I could hear all the girls gasp as his presence. Ha, look whose stranded on an island with him? Me. Not the fake sluts. The loner, with the tough guy. And here I was, in the water, staring into his eyes.

****
A/N: cliffhanger-ish thingy.., but you get it.

COMMENT

&

VOTE
❤️Haylie