Therapist Tree

A/N: Writers block!!! Ugh.

*****

(Autumn's POV)

Wind blew across my face as I stood on the mountain, fuelling our S.O.S fires. I spread Codie's fur around the fires. Black smoke raised from within the flames. I grabbed a stick and looked at the charred wood. Might need some more soon. Sighing, I climbed my way down the mountain and onto the flat ground. Luke came jogging up.

"Hey." I said blankly. Luke stopped and cocked his head to the side.

"I have a surprise!" He announced. I looked over at him and raised and eyebrow. What in the hell? I don't want any surprises. I haven't been in the best mood lately, I guess I'm just too damn tired of this island. It's the same routine everyday. Wake up, eat, drink, fuel fires, gather food, and back to sleep. It gets boring.

"What type of surprise?" I asked picking up some sticks and bunching them together. Luke shook his head, I didn't even look at him.

"I can't tell you. But I need a couple hours to set it up." Luke said walking over to me. I rolled my eyes. I just want out of here.

"Okay..." I said hesitantly. I continued to pick up sticks but Luke grabbed my hands.

"Stay away from me for a while okay?" He asked. I shrugged. He kissed my lips sweetly before jogging back off into to trees. Codie trotted behind.

"Wow. Thanks traitor!" I yelled at the dog. He didn't turn back. I rolled my eyes and carried my sticks back to the cave. The tree's were all the same, except that some of the leaves were changing colours and they were falling off. It made me nervous. Will snow appear? We don't have any clothes, we'll die of hyperthermia. But sadly, everything was all the same, nothing ever changed here. I wandered around these woods at least a million times. The field where the cabin was- it's empty. Sure, some people would kill to be stuck on a tropical island with no way of escape with a hot guy. I don't even remember the sight of a television or a phone. I wonder how I'll adapt to human civilization again. My family. Oh god, my family. Both my parents are dead, because of a boat. My mother always taught me that god took people when they fulfilled their duties here on earth. Why was my dad taken then? I was little and barely knew what death was. And my mother drowned along with many passengers about a year ago. Is that why when I tried to die, I couldn't. Because I was meant to get off this island?

Tears pooled my eyes and I quickly wiped them away. I was sitting in front of the cave, with a small fire going. Codie and Luke still haven't returned, and I was getting worried. I need to tell someone about all this, but the only person here is Luke. Sometimes I wish I had a shrink, but most of them don't give a damn about our problems. I looked around the forest, for anything. I spotted a tree, who looked very kind. Pushing myself off the ground, I approached the tree and looked hard at it. It was small, and a birch. I smiled. You'll make the perfect shrink. I started talking to the tree about everything, eventually, I found myself sitting on the ground leaning against it.

"You get what I mean?" I asked it when I finished. As of answer, it's leaves rustled as the wind blew by. I sighed.

"I'm talking to a goddamn tree." I muttered rubbing my face with my hands. Hey, at least the tree can't give me meds, advice or care. It just listened. God, I'm going insane. When I get out of here, I'll be so crazy that they'll put me in an asylum. I bet even an haunted asylum. The bushes rustled and I involuntarily grabbed onto my therapist tree. Codie jumped from the bushes with his tongue flapping out of his mouth. I shook my head and laughed. The dog came over and I rubbed the fur on his head.

"Want to go to the ocean, buddy?" I asked standing. Codie jumped up in agreement. I started running towards the shore, with Codie behind me. It felt good to run, the more my legs pumped, the more anger and frustration drained out of me. Sadly, the trees parted which meant my running came to a stop. I halted on the sand suddenly, and sand flew everywhere. Codie came running from behind me and straight for the water. I don't think I've ever seen him run so fast. He looked funny. His long fur was pushed back by the force of the wind. His lips were flapping in the wind and his eyes were squinted. It made me laugh. As soon as he entered the water, he leaped far and started swimming out. What the hell?

"Not to far!" I yelled out to Codie. He stopped and turned. His face looked like a cob of corn. It was so slim and long. It was funny. God I love this dog. He swam around, trying to catch fish every once in a while. And when he did catch them, he brought them onto the shore and went back running for more. I sat on the sand, under a tree canopy watching him. I hope he never leaves me, but I know everything dies eventually. Surprisingly, my sadness and anger has melted away. I guess my therapist tree really helps. I'll have to give it a name. Burt. His name is now Burt. Oh god, I just named a tree. I shook my head and chuckled. Codie was running down the shoreline, jumping at the air. I looked up a little, he was chasing a goddamn seagull. Sorry buddy, you ain't going to catch that. Wind blew across the sand and flew into my eyes. I covered my eyes with the back on my hand and called out to Codie. He came trotting back with 2 fish in his mouth. We went back to the cave where I ate some fruit and he ate his fish. A whistle made Codie bark, but he was chewing on fish so it came out like a grumble.

"Who's there?" I asked with a mouthful of apple. Luke popped around the side of the cave with a cheeky smile plastered on his face. I swallowed the last of my apple.

"Hey pretty lady." He said as he approached. I sat beside Burt, with my hand wrapped around his trunk. His face turned into confusion as he looked from the tree to me.

"Are you done with you're 'surprise'?" I asked taking my hand from Burt. Luke nodded with a smile.

"Yes. Now, Come on." He held out a hand for me, and I took it. He pulled me off of the ground but still held my hand tightly. He gently guided me along the trees. It better not be another damn game that I'll lose at. Luke stopped abruptly, causing me to bump into his back. He turned and faced me.

"Okay. Close your eyes." Luke said with a smile. I shook my head.

"I don't know..." I said jokingly. Luke rolled his eyes.

"C'mon. Please?" He asked. I shrugged and nodded. Luke pulled a large leaf from a tree and smiled.

"Close your eyes." He said sweetly. I carefully closed my eyelids, and the pressure from the leaf around my head was tight, so I couldn't see. I sighed as Luke grabbed my hand. I don't feel a 100% safe blindfolded. I heard Luke's deep chuckle as he slowly guided me forwards. So far so good. But, I spoke too soon. I was walking when my foot hit something and I almost when face first into the ground. Luke caught me with strong arms.

"Ow." I said. Luke chuckled.

"I gotcha." He kissed my cheek before standing me up straight again. He continued to guide me, but he wasn't very good. A few trips, branches to the head and some kisses later, Luke stopped me.

"Ready babe?" Luke asked. I nodded slowly. I felt the blindfold disappear from my face and I peeled my glued eyelids open. I was very surprised, a happy smile spread across my face.

"Do you like it?" Luke asked self-consciously. I nodded.

"I love it." I kissed him.

****
A/N: eh, why not a cliffhanger? Haven't had one in a while. Here you go ;)
COMMENT
&
VOTE
❤️Haylie