Chapter 31

I sat outside the room as Dick was inside with Shawn being interviewed for a paying position at the center. Dick had grown close to these people, and wanted to help them. Pamela walked down the hallway towards me. She was on her phone being oblivious of where she was going.

"Hey Pamela," I said.

She looked up, "hey how are you doing?" She stopped.

"I'm doing well." I Said as I rested my hands on my stomach.

"Whatcha doin' here?" She asked.

"Dick had an interview for a paying position here, and then were going to look at paint for the nursery." I said.

"If you need help painting just give us a call and I'm sure we would be more than glad to help you two out." She said.

Dick and Shawn came out of the room. "Are you ready to go?" Dick asked me.

"I think I am," I got up.

"It was good talking with you Pamela." I said.

"You to Maria." She said.

"Bye Shawn," Dick said.

We left and went to the hardware store and found a color we both could agree on for Jamie's nursery.

We went home and started painting.

"How was the interview?" I asked.

"It was good." Dick Said.

"When's Shawn going to call you back about the position?" I asked.

"She said tomorrow." He said as he poured the paint into a tray.

"We really need to pick up the pass with this nursery." I Said as I looked at the blue walls then my growing stomach.

"We'll get it done." Dick Said.

"Pamela offered to help out." I said.

"Shawn said the same thing." Dick Said.

I took a paint brush and dipped it in the paint. Dick helped me sit down so I could paint along the baseboard.

Dick came up behind me while I was washing the brushes.

"Don't over do it." He said as he kissed my cheek.

"And you, sir, Better come back uninjured. And if you do you better not expect me to sew you up." I said as I turned to face him so I could poke his chest.

Dick put his hands on my 32 week belly. "Take care of Mommy, Jamie." He said as he rubbed my stomach.

Jamie kicked his hand. "She will, now go." I said as I showed him out the window to start his patrol.

I finish washing the brushes and went to our nursery. I took a pencil and started working on outlining where the tree would go.

I heard something in the kitchen fall.

"Dick is that you?" I asked.

Two big arms snaked around my neck and held me in a choke hold. I dropped the pencil and tried to escape but his grip tightened. "

Hello Zodiac." I hear a sinister voice say.

I managed to get some lavender paint on my hand, and I wiped it across my eyes for a makeshift mask.

"Did you make these cookies?" The Joker asked as he walked into the nursery munching on one of the cookies I'd made. I couldn't respond, due to the tight grip.

"Oh my," he said dramatically. "Simon, let go of her, this isn't how we treat a pregnant woman." He said.

The goon let go of me and I fell to all fours. I caught my breath then put a hand on my stomach. I couldn't go down without a fight. I whispered the protection spell Giovanni and I had found to protect unborn children. I grabbed the top of the paint can and threw it at the goon, the lid cut his forehead. I got up and ran at the Joker. I punched him and ran down the hallway. Two more goons were in the kitchen. I grabbed my cell and clicked the first contact I could. I fended them off for as long as I could.