Chapter 1

Maria pov
I stepped off the bus in Star City. I walked down the street looking for somewhere I could crash.

When night fell I found an old abandoned apartment in the Glades. I set my things up and I made this my next hide out.

I put my Black padded spandex suit on and then my mask. I put my cloak on and glanced over my spell book and then climbed out the window. I climbed to the roof and started patrolling.

•••

I was fighting with some gangbangers. I said a spell and took two out. A third pulled a gun and by the time I had finished saying my spell when I felt the bullet penitente my shoulder. I hissed.

"Get down!" A voice yelled begin me.

I dropped to the ground and a piercing scream knocked the third to the ground. A blonde woman in a black spandex suit helped me up and we left. I blacked out shortly after.

•••
I woke up on a metal table. A man in a green hood with a bow and arrow pointed at me.

"Who are you?" He said.

"I'm Zodiac." I said.

"What do you want with Star city?" He asked.

"To help." I moaned my shoulder throbbed with pain.

"Ollie put the bow down." The woman said.

I sat up.

"You aren't that bad at fighting. But you need more hand to hand combat. Standing three feet away can get you killed. And if you'd like I'd like to train you." She smiled.

"I'm Black Canary, but you can call me Dinah." She smiled.

"Maria Kinsman." I said as I shook her hand.

"How old are you?" The man asked.

"I just turned 16." I said.

"Where do you live?" He asked.

"Um I just got to the city today." I said looking at my lap.

"Then where are you from?" Dinah asked.

"Santa Fe," I said as I looked at my hands.

"Where are your parents?" The man asked.

"They're dead." I said.

I zoned out as the images of my parents laid dead in the kitchen.

"I'm sorry," he said as he looked away.

"We'll train you, make you stronger." The man said.

"I'd trust you more if you took he mask off. I have no connections to anyone. You can trust me." I said.

The man took his mask and Hood off.

"I'm Oliver Queen." He said as he held his hand out.

I shook his hand. I smiled and I got off the table.

"Thank you for saving my life." I Said as I picked a bow up.

"Not a problem." Dinah said.

"I can teach you to shoot if you want." Oliver said.

"I know how to shoot a bit but I need all the combat skills I need." I Said.

Oliver and Dinah looked at each over and shared a smile.

-two years later-
Ollie and Dinah had been treating me as a daughter. Dinah even asked me if I wanted them to adopt me. I agreed since they were the closest thing to parents I'd had in a while.