chapter twenty

Two years ago.

"Try it again," Elaine called from outside. Winona sighed and twisted the key in the ignition. The car rumbled briefly before stopping. Winona sighed whilst Elaine threw something into the dirt road. After taking a few deep breaths, she reached over to pick it up.

"Maybe we should just call a tow truck," Winona suggested. "No, I can fix this," Elaine dismissed. "You've been saying that for the past hour and a half. In that time you've wasted, a tow truck would've taken the car and an actual mechanic would be fixing it," Winona said. Elaine sighed and leaned under the hood of the car, messing with things.

"I know what I'm doing," she said. Winona scoffed incredulously. "If you knew what you were doing, Elaine, we wouldn't still be stranded on the side of the road," she said. "Oh look, Winona the Whiner is back with more complaints," Elaine muttered. "You know what, Elaine? I have had it with you," Winona said.

Elaine shrugged her shoulders. "Oh have you now?" She questioned. "I have. You're a bitch," Winona confirmed. Elaine chuckled before lowering the car's hood so that she could see Winona's face. "You're one to talk," she replied before lifting the hood all the way up and fiddling with things again.

"Seriously, Elaine. You might blow us up," Winona said. Elaine rolled her eyes, "I'm not gonna blow us up." The sound of loud music blasting caused Winona's response to halt. Her eyes narrowed in confusion and she opened the car door and stepped out. She went to stand next to her sister who was eyeing the vehicle that was currently pulling up to where they stood.

The car stopped and a man stepped out of it. Winona immediately grew uncomfortable. "Hey, you guys need some help?" He questioned. He had a slight accent, she noticed. "No, we're good," Winona said at the same time Elaine said, "Yes, that would be great." Elaine sent her a confused look and Winona did the same. "I thought you said that you got this," Winona said.

"You and I both know that that wasn't true," Elaine replied. "That guy gives me the creeps," Winona whispered. Elaine shrugged before turning back to the man and smiling. "I think something's wrong with the engine," she told him as he came closer. "Can I take a look?" He asked. Elaine nodded and he began examining everything underneath the hood.

After discovering what he thought to be the problem, he did something before looking up at Winona. "Try turning the key in the ignition," he said. The girl nodded and walked to the driver's side of the car. She slipped into the seat. She turned the key again and this time, the engine revved to life. A relieved sigh left her lips and she could hear Elaine thanking the man from the open window.

"It's no problem. I'm glad I could help," he replied. "Well thanks again," Elaine paused, not knowing his name. "Ernesto," he concluded. "I'm Elaine and this is Winona," Elaine replied. "It's good to meet you," Ernesto said. "Likewise," Winona replied. He looked between the two before speaking. "So, where are you guys headed?" He asked.

Elaine looked at Winona who shrugged. "We're not sure yet. We want to get to Mexico but we don't want any law enforcement to know," Elaine said. Winona rolled her eyes at the girl for telling him all that. Though she wasn't surprised that she did. Elaine didn't know how to keep her mouth shut.

Ernesto chuckled quietly. "You want to sneak across the border?" He asked and Elaine nodded. He was thoughtful for a moment. "I could get you across," he said. "Really?" Winona asked, unsure. "Yeah. But uh, it's gonna cost you," he replied. Winona rolled her eyes. "How much?" She asked. He thought again before answering. "Five thousand," came his reply.

"Goodbye," Winona said, walking to the passenger side of the car. "That's a reasonable price," he said. "No, it's not," Winona replied. "And we can't afford that," Elaine added. Ernesto shrugged. "That's my price," he said. Elaine walked to the driver's side of the car and pulled out her wallet. She took out a few bills and handed it to him.