Jasmine's Birthday

Jasmine’s POV:

            Today I turn 28, but as usual I treat it as any other day. I get up and go hang out with my boys, I took the day off from work so that I could. Instead of doing as planned, I heard yelling and screaming outside of my door, and when I sat up the boys came running in my room.           

            “Happy birthday Mommy!” the boys shouted simultaneously.

            “Aww you boys remembered,” I said sitting up.

            “You right they remembered, they came into my room waking me up so that I could cook you breakfast,” Genesis said holding the tray in front of himself full of pancakes, eggs, and bacon.

            “Oh yes, you boys did a good job your father can make some of the best pancakes you’ve ever tasted,” I said sitting up as Genesis placed the tray on top of me. I picked my fork and knife up to cut my food but the boys held my hand down.

            “We are going to feed you mommy,” Bo said taking the knife and the fork. He cut the food in the weirdest way with his uncoordinated hands.

            “That’s not how you do it,” Genesis Jr. said snatching the fork and knife from his brother.   

            “Boys don’t be so mean to each other,” Genesis scolded them.

            The boys turned their head to their father, one of them holding out each utensil to him.

            “You do it,” They said. I chuckled as Genesis took the knife and fork from the boys cutting the pancakes and placing the knife and fork down.

            “No daddy you have to feed her that’s the whole point,” Genesis Jr. said.

            “Boys,” I started but was interrupted by Bo waving his arms in front of my face.

            “Mommy the point is for you to do nothing,” Bo said smiling up at me.

            “Daddy get to serving,” Genesis Jr. commanded. Genesis frowned and picked up the utensils bringing the pancakes to my mouth. Mid way between the path to my mouth my phone rang.

            “Saved by the bell,” I said laughing going to get my phone.  “Hello?”

            “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Jasmine, happy birthday to you,” Lance sang through my phone.

            “Thanks Lance, you remembered,” I said smiling at his kindness.

            “Most definitely, I just wanted to say happy birthday. I’m going to let you get back to your sons,” Lance said.

            “So sweet of you, thanks,” I said smiling.

            “Oh yeah, look for something in the mail today,” Lance said before hanging up.

            When I hung up the phone the boys were looking at me with frowns on their faces.

            “Mommy, that isn’t cool,” Genesis Jr. said.

            “What did mommy do wrong?” Bo asked not understanding much like myself.

            “You’re not supposed to talk to that man, me, Daddy, and Bo spent a lot of time on your birthday,” Genesis Jr. explained.

            “I’m so sorry baby,” I said reaching across the bed to pick him up but he was struggling againist me.

            “Come on baby, don’t be mad at mommy,” I said nestling him into my neck. “I really appreciate what you, your brother, and your daddy did. I’ll be good all day and do whatever you tell me to do.”

            “Ok,” he said twirling a piece of my hair in his finger much like Bo does.

            “Okay, come on mommy we have stuff down stairs for you,” Bo said pulling on my arm.

            I got out of the bed following the children downstairs to see plenty of pictures of me, I could differentiate between Bo’s and Genesis’ because Bo was more artistic than Genesis.

            Later that day when Sasha and Eli came over with their children and gifts we were sitting around watching TV and enjoying ourselves.

            “Oh yeah, Jasmine I found this on the porch when I was coming in,” Eli said and Sasha scolded him.

            “Thanks,” I said taking the box from him. I opened it up to see a letter from Lance saying happy birthday and under that there was a jewelry box and inside there was a necklace with a heart at the end.

            “Aww it’s precious,” I said smiling and putting it to the side. Sasha got me a perfume set from Clinque, Eli got me a gift card to Nike, and Genesis got me a Tiffany’s braclet which I was wearing because it had a ‘T’ and ‘G’ charm on it.

            “At least Genesis had the nerve to spend some damn money,” Sasha mumbled.

            “So Jasmine how does it feel to be an old lady?” Eli asked.

            “You ask me this every year,” I laughed ignoring Sasha’s comment because I know there was no way that she was going to like Lance.

            “Because you have yet to answer,” Eli said.

            “Because she ain’t old,” Genesis said laughing.

            “You can’t say much, you and Eli are dinosaurs compared to me and Sasha,” I said laughing.

            “More like fossils,” Sasha said laughing.

            “You weren’t calling me a fossil last night,” Eli said smugly nibbling on Sasha’s ear.

            “You’re right daddy,” Sasha mumbled pulling his face to hers for a kiss. Times like those it became awkward for me and Genesis because the four of us spent a lot of time together, and even though we knew Sasha and Eli were a married couple, it was hard to sit there and watch them go at it when are relationship was friendly at most.

            “Could you please keep your tongues on a leash?” Genesis asked.         “There’s only so long that I can actually behave,” Eli said smiling.

            “What I keep forgetting is the age gap between us,” Sasha said laughing.

            “I mean I’m 25, Jas is 28, and you two are 38,” Sasha said laughing.

            “You mean you’re 30,” I said laughing at this girl wanting to lie about her age.

            “Girl don’t tell my real age, I still got Eli thinking I’m in my twenties,” Sasha faked whispered.

            “Dumb ass he researched you before ya’ll got together,” I whispered back laughing.

            This day turned out a lot better than what I had planned to sit in bed and watch TV all day but thanks to my friends and my boys I was able to really appreciate my birthday.