Reality (Jessie POV)

Michael's dark and hungry eyes roamed over me as I took a panicked step back. My back slammed into the wall behind me and I winced at the situation I had landed myself in. I moved quick to the side thinking I could get away but Michael's hand flew out, grabbing my arm and pushing me up against the wall again. I whimpered involuntarily and an evil smile lit up his face. “Whoa now gorgeous, where do you think you're going?” he asked.

“Please, just let me go,” I whispered, shaking slightly with fear.

“I will,” he said nonchalantly before leaning forward to whisper in my ear. “After I finish, that is.” He straightened up and licked his lips as he looked over me again. I shivered, feeling him undressing me with his eyes and he seemed to take it as an invitation to act on his thoughts. Michael's hands roamed over my body hungrily as though to reacquaint himself with what had developed since the last time he'd seen me. Tears began to stream down my face as one of his hands went under my shirt and he started kissing on the side of my neck.

“Carlos,” I whimpered in fear, knowing what would happen soon. Where was Carlos now that I needed him most?

“I'll be whoever you want,” Michael murmured against my skin. “If it'll make you more excited this time around, then I'm okay with it.” I tried to push Michael back in disgust while he was distracted, but his hands caught hold of my wrists and pinned them on the wall above my head almost as though he knew what I would do.

“Carlos!” I screamed loudly, hoping he was looking for me. Hoping he would save me when I needed him to. “Carlos, help!”

“Uh- uh,” Michael shook his head. “I'm not into the whole two dudes thing. That's a little too kinky for my taste.”

“Carlos!” I cried out again, ignoring Michael's words. I heard foot steps approaching and my heart pounded with the hope that he'd heard me. “Carlos!”

“What? Who keeps-” His words cut off as he came into view and he stopped to stare at me and Michael. Michael continued to pin me to the wall as he looked back at Carlos. After what seemed like forever, Carlos spoke. “Why do you keep calling me? What do you want from me?”

My breath caught and my heartbeat seemed to slow at his words. “I- it's Michael,” I stammered. “Help me, please.”

“Why?” he asked and it felt like my world was slowly crumbling.

“B- because you love me,” I cried. “You said you always be there for me, remember?”

“And why would I do that?” he laughed harshly. “I don't know what sick story you created in your mind, but I don't love you.”

“Why are you saying this?” I asked quietly.

“Because it's like you always said,” Carlos shrugged as he looked me directly in the eyes. “You're damaged goods and no one wants damaged goods.” A choked sound escaped my throat as Carlos turned his back on me and walked away. Michael turned back to look at me with his sick smile and I clamped my eyes shut tightly as I felt his hands move to undo pants. I kept my eyes shut, not wanting wanting to be fully aware of it all again. I felt something move steadily against me, could feel warm breath on my neck and then for some reason there was a clicking sound like a door opening and closing.

My eyes snapped open and my mind immediately registered the warmth of someone's breath on my neck and arms around my waist. I pulled away, panicked, and scrambled against the wall with no other choice because the person laid blocking my exit. They began to stir from my startled movements and I looked around wildly trying to find another way out or something to use to defend myself. As I looked around, I slowly recognized the items and furniture until it registered that I was in my dorm room. But why would I bring Michael back here? And where was Samara? I looked over at her empty bed, utterly confused.

“Jessie?” The voice was groggy but alert enough to sound worried and I immediately recognized it. I turned to him slowly, taking in his tense posture, dark eyebrows drawn down in confusion. His warm brown eyes staring at me with the worry I knew all too well. The worry that made about as much sense to me right now as his presence did and how I'd gotten to my room.

“Carlos,” I said flatly. “Why are you here?”

His brows drew down even further at my words. “You asked me to stay, remember?”

“No,” I answered, pressing against the wall as though I could disappear through it. Escape to a world where no one could exist to hurt me.

Carlos sat up straighter and inched towards me, making me flinch. He froze where he was at my reaction and I saw hurt cross his face. “What do you remember?” he asked.

I looked down at my comforter trying to concentrate. Seeing him there made me confused and I began to forget details. “I remember walking Samara to the bathroom,” I said slowly. “And then I texted you... and then Michael was there. He- he started touching me and I screamed for you.” My eyes darted up quickly to meet his and I could see him clench his jaw, eyes angry. And yet, I could swear I saw guilt in them too. “Then you came. And you told me you wouldn't help me because you didn't love me. That I was right when I said I was damaged goods and nobody wanted me. Then you just walked away and left me there with Michael.” I watched as his features morphed to confused and pained, feeling more and more confused myself.

“Jessie, that's not what happened,” Carlos said, moving forward again. I clenched my hand into a tight fist and he looked down at it before looking back at me. He stopped moving and raised both his hands like he was surrendering. “Jessie, I promise you that is not what happened. I would never say that to you and I would never walk away from you like that while you were getting hurt. You know I wouldn't.”

“Then why would I remember that?” I asked, voice breaking with oncoming tears. I wanted badly, more than anything, to believe Carlos. But the memory of him brushing me off when I needed him most was too freshly emblazoned in my mind.

“It was a bad dream,” he said matter of factly. “It had to be. I could never hurt you or leave you to get hurt like that, I swear.”

“Then what really happened?” I asked, hoping he would tell me that Michael was all a part of my imagination. That we danced and laughed and kissed and just had fun all night until I finally fell asleep and he'd had to carry me back here. That he'd fallen asleep when we got here, too tired to go across the hall to his own bed and that I was too tired to remember any of it. But as I stared at him desperately hoping for those answers, I knew I wouldn't get them.

“Michael really was at the party,” he said softly. “And you said he had tried to... hurt you again but then you heard me calling you and you got away. You ran to me and and told me he was there but when you moved to show me, he was gone. You freaked out and asked me to stay with you and I said I would, like I always do when you need me. You woke up a few times from nightmares and the last time you woke up you said you were damaged goods and you didn't know why I was so nice to you. And I said-”

“That I wasn't damaged, just good,” I interrupted, faintly remembering it. “And that you love me.”

“Do you remember now?” Carlos asked, eyes searching mine.

“A little,” I nodded.

He sighed in relief and tentatively moved towards me. I didn't flinch away this time and he took the hand that wasn't in a fist, entwining his fingers with mine. “Good,” he said. “Because I would never hurt you. I really do love you.” It took a few seconds for his words to register in my brain and process as true but once they did I reacted instantly. I threw myself forward, pressing my face in his shoulder as I hugged him tightly.

“I know,” I said shakily. “I'm so sorry, the dream just felt so real.”

“I know,” he replied, hugging me back just as tightly. “I know, it's okay.”

I lifted my head quickly and kissed him, feeling his shocked but immediate response. “I love you, too,” I said, brushing my lips against his as I looked at him.

“I know,” he smiled slightly. “And Jessie?”

“Yeah?”

“I promise you Michael will never hurt you again,” Carlos said, kissing my forehead before looking back at me with serious and loving eyes. “I won't let him.”

“I believe you,” I responded, laying my head on his shoulder again as he held me close. “I'll always believe you.”