Living Nightmare (Jessie POV)

“Come on Jessie a party would be fun,” Samara said from inside her closet as she searched for clothes.

“So then go enjoy yourself,” I answered, flipping through the magazine on my bed. “I'm sure it will be just as much fun without me there.”

Samara stopped and turned to look at me. “Don't make me do this,” she said.

“Do what?” I asked confused.

“Don't make me use the Carlos card,” she said it with such a straight face that I had to laugh.

“The Carlos card?” I repeated. “So what, he's a Yu- Gi- Oh! card now?”

“No, but he is your weakness,” she answered.

“Whatever you say,” I replied back, shaking my head.

“Fine,” she sighed and walked over to me. “Just remember you brought this on to yourself.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I'm talking about how this party is for the football team,” she said. “Which, Carlos is on. But because you don't want to go to it, you won't let him either which is a very selfish thing to do.”

I stopped laughing and stared at her. “I'm not stopping him from doing anything,” I said. “Carlos is his own person, he can go wherever he wants. He doesn't need my permission.”

“And I never said he asked for it,” Samara said. “But don't act like you don't notice that his choices are usually based on you. If you're the only one who doesn't want to go out, he will stay with you just so you aren't alone. And tonight that wouldn't be very fair because the party is for the football team and as I said, he is on it.”

“Really, your Carlos card is the guilt trip?” I said.

“Yup,” she smiled. “And it's working isn't it? Because now I have you thinking about how selfish you have been while he's been so selfless. Maybe psychology is the right major for me.” I rolled my eyes at her as someone knocked on the door. “Bet you it's Carlos.”

“That's not a bet, that's common knowledge,” I answered as I got up and walked to the door. Sure enough, Carlos stood in front of me with his hands in his pockets as I answered the door. “Hi.”

“Hey,” he said, a smile immediately crossing his face. I loved how he always smiled like he hadn't seen me in days when it had only been a few hours. “Are you doing anything right now?”

“No,” I shook my head. “Why?”

“Well,” he started. “I didn't really have anything planned until tomorrow for us, but I'm kind of bored now. Some people are throwing a party for the football team and I know you don't like parties but do you mind if we go?” The look on Carlos' face told me he wanted to go but wanted to be around me more. And having him look at me that way made me feel horrible for even considering saying no.

“Of course not,” I smiled. “If you want to then so do I.”

*          *          *          *          *         

The party was at a fraternity house on the other side of campus where some of the team lived. Jeremy and Samara walked in ahead of us, almost immediately disappearing in the crowd. Carlos and I hadn't even stepped inside yet and I already started feeling claustrophobic; bad memories threatening to come to the surface. My hand must have tightened in his, or grown hot, because I saw him look down at it before looking back up at me. “Hey,” he said, turning to me. “If you don't feel comfortable we can just leave. Really, I don't mind.”