FIFTEEN

• • •

• • •

Arthur and I have been sitting in silence for twenty minutes. I sat on the couch. My knees pulled up to my chest. He had given me a blanket ten minutes ago and turned the fire on, but went back to his spot across the room near the front door. Every so often my eyes would slink over to his side, and our eyes would catch the others, quickly looking away. I wished Mera was here, and she would fill the silence.

I wanted to be angry with him. Be mad that I had gotten pregnant the only time we had sex, but that wasn't fair to do. Two people have sex. It isn't a one-person affair.

Arthur cleared his throat, "Are you hungry?"

He had stood up and walked to grab his coat. I hadn't even responded before he spoke again.

"I'll go to the store." His voice was strained, and he cleared his throat again before swinging the door open and leaving me alone. The silence was loud as I sat there before trudging up the winding staircase, the blanket trailing behind me.

I found myself in the bathroom stripped of all clothing I stared at my battered body in the mirror.  I was sorer today than I was yesterday and my body was stiff with every movement as my muscles protested and tightened. I relaxed and sighed, my hands ghosting over my stomach, the bruises along my ribs stung as my fingertips trailed up to my sternum.

I had new bruises along my throat, and they were a dark purple that shifted into a puke yellow/grey along the edges. My arms had large handprints encircling my forearm, and my hands still shook. They were blue and purple, my knuckles puffy and I cast my gaze to my feet. I even had dark splotches there too.

My right eye had swollen half shut, and Arthur had to stitch the gash along my jaw. I think he did it while I was asleep. Tears stung my eyes while they roamed along my naked body. I was beaten and broken. My legs began to shake, and they threatened to give out as my mind shattered under my gaze.