TEN

• • •

• • •

                   The air was stale and the room quiet while I kneeled before my dog. His small body as still as I've ever seen, my shaking hands have still yet to touch Simon. I wasn't crying anymore, now my mouth was dry and my breath wheezed through parted lips in quick breaths. My body hot and my mind jumbled as I stared at my dog.

Before me, the kitchen was splattered with dried blood, and the creature hung limply from the sink, it's clawed hands forever frozen in a talon grip. Its eyes weren't ablaze with anger and murderous ideas anymore but lifeless and dull. My body was in shock, I knew it was, and when I felt strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me up from the floor, I let them. I didn't protest when I was taken upstairs, stripped and put in the shower. Nor did I complain when he dressed me and laid me in my bed.

I just gazed at him, no emotion behind my look but I could see he was worried, I could see his lips move, but no voice or words registered in my mind. I ignored his warm hand on my shoulder I turned away and shut my eyes.

• • •

My eyes snapped open, and my body felt heavy. I looked about my room, the sun was streaming in from behind my blinds and on my desk was a glass of water and a bowl of food. Sitting up and making my way over to the glass of water seemed to be a troubling task because my body ached with every movement. Wincing as I arched my body for a stretch, I saw the bowl was filled with noodles.

Downstairs I could hear movement and made my way down. The entire house was quiet and loud at the same time. Every move I made was extremely loud against the peace. Peering around into the kitchen to find it clean and untouched rendered me confused. There was a dead underwater creature stuck in my garbage disposal before I went to sleep.

The sound of metal on dirt caused me to turn my attention towards my ajar back door. Arthur was digging a small grave near the staircase by the flowers.

"He always liked this corner of the yard." My voice was hoarse and heavy as I spoke, startling Arthur who spun around to look at me.

"I didn't know that."

"Why would you?" I deadpanned.

His heavy eyebrows furrowed and his lip twitched as his grip on the shovel tightened. His lips parted, but I spoke first.

"Where's Deadwater?" My eyes scanned the remaining yard.

"Taken care of." Arthur set the shovel down, wiping his hands on his dark jeans before turning to a small bundled body I hadn't noticed, "Would you like to help me? Say a few words?"