FOUR

• • •

• • •

                    I set the basket next to the door and swiftly walked away. Arthur was never here the other times I left something, so I knew he wouldn't be here this time.

I walked back to Leslie's house. She was in the kitchen making a bagel, I could smell the burnt bread the minute I walked in the door.

"Leslie, don't burn the house down." I teased joining her in the kitchen as she pulled a darkened stiff price of bread from the toaster.

"Haha, very funny. I can never make a bagel right." She sighed tossing it in the trash, "What did you leave him this time?"

I hopped up into the counter peeling back a banana, "Just some shampoo and body wash."

"Still wasn't there?"

"No, but he wasn't the last two times either."

"Why do you feel the need to bring him things?"

"Because he had nothing and was kind enough to shield me from the storm."

"This has nothing to do with him bringing your underwear back to you? You're not trying to win him back?"

I laughed, loudly almost choking on my last bite of banana, "What? No, no, that man is a jackass, I'm just trying to be nice."

"Yeah, to get him back in your pants." she laughed, "Hey, I don't blame you. The guy is gorgeous, but I seriously don't think it's working." Leslie said.

"How do you know?" I asked a bit upset with her matter of fact voice.

"Well because he's walking up to the front door right now."

I turned in shock to see Arthur walking up the path to the front door. The door was wide open since Leslie decided to air out the house, he brought his hand up to the screen door and loudly banged his fist against it. The door rattled loudly and I ducked behind the island.

"Go answer it! Tell him I'm not here."

"You know he probably saw you."

"Just go!"

I peered over the counter watching as she opened the door and Arthur stood before her my latest basket in his hands. My heart sunk a little, but I knew it wouldn't take long until he figured out who it was leaving the baskets. They only conversed for a few minutes, and before he walked away Arthur looked past Leslie straight at me, and I ducked so quickly.

"You can come out now. Arthur left." Leslie said placing the basket on the counter.

"What did he say?" I asked as I examined the basket, he didn't take anything.

"He said he's not someone's charity case. I tried to explain it to him, but he was pissed."

"Oh." my heart sank, and anger welled up.