FIVE

• • •

• • •

The crowd was loud and boisterous around us as people began to settle and the play was about to start. I sat in my chair a bit bored, sipping my lemonade. The sun beginning to lower and the sky was clear, and I was glad I brought my old worn baseball cap.

My red tank top and jean shorts were not helping in the battle against the heat. I shuffled my converse clad feet in the grass and placed the glass to my neck.

Leslie and I had been at the town fair all day. Our day is filled with fatty foods like fried Oreos, ice cream and funnel cake. I hadn't planned on staying late, but on our way out I had walked past a sign announcing a play.

Leslie didn't ask my reasoning for staying-mostly because she was tired- and just waved me goodbye. As I waited for the play to start I went over the notes I had put in my phone. The research I had done weeks ago were starting be all that was on my mind. It didn't help that Arthur had been on my mind nonstop. I couldn't shake him no matter what. I was curious about the mystery that surrounded him. The set up for the play was nice. Nestled in the middle of the fair grounds, the ocean a backdrop to the makeshift stage built by the kids. The sun was going down now and the air had a crisper chill to it, lanterns filled with fairly lights lit up the pathways out of the grounds.

The director, Mr. Wyatt, the elementary school principal, walked on stage his smile bright as he announced the play was to start. He explained that the kids had been working on this all month and were excited.

I silenced my cellphone and got comfortable.

"Every man and woman knows the tale of the man who comes every year in the King tide, who brings fish and saves fisherman from drowning. He now has a name; I introduce you to Aquaman!" Mr. Wyatt declared.

A young boy burst onto the stage in a loud orange and green outfit, long blonde hair and a large trident his hands on his hips, radiating power. I laughed and cheered on the young cast, leaning back and enjoying the show. The play wasn't as informative as I had hoped, but that's what I get for thinking that a school play would be. It was incredibly cute though.

"Dad?" I called into the house, placing my chair and shoes in the closet.

"In here." I heard him call from the kitchen.

"You should have seen the play the kids put on-." I stopped short at the sight of Yvette Wilson, "Oh, hello."

"Hello, Ingrid, how are you today?" Her voice was stoic and her smile perfect. She wasn't in her suit this time, but a white t-shirt and jeans. Her hairs pulled into a tight pony tail, and her red lipstick tied the whole outfit together.

"I'm fine. Can we help you with something?" I asked trying to be as casual as possible.

"I was just explaining to your father about the renovations my organization would like to do."