Chapter 14: Taken

"Look, Mercy! Isn't that pretty?" Sophia pointed to a dress being displayed at a shop. The long dress was a beautiful pale green color, and it had a pink ribbon tied around the waist. The sleeves were short and looked soft. "Yeah. It's nice." Mercy said, examining the dress from where she was standing beside Sophia. Timothy looked at the dress as well, but didn't say anything. He didn't seem very interested in looking at the article of clothing. Mercy and her cousins were currently at the market located near her village. Her cousins had thought it would have been a good idea to take Mercy's mind off of everything that had happened.

     "Do you like it?" A woman sweeping outside the shop asked, smiling at both Sophia and Mercy. "I made it myself." The shopkeeper said. "The dress is very lovely." Sophia said, smiling back at the shopkeeper. "I'm glad you like it!" The shopkeeper replied, beaming from head to toe. The female shopkeeper soon went back to sweeping. "Let me know if you'd like to make a purchase." She said, guiding the trash into a wooden tray with her boom. After having bent down, the female shopkeeper picked up the tray and discarded the trash into a trash bin.

"Are you two going to spend all day looking at dresses?" Timothy groaned, vexation crawling all over his young, pale face like a parade of busy ants. Sophia glanced over at her sibling with a giggle, amusement sparkling within her bright, cheerful green gaze. "Come now, Timothy! Shopping is fun. You just have to give it a chance." With a swift roll of his disinterested yellow gaze, Timothy trailed after Mercy and Sophia as they approached another shop to browse at various items for sale. "I think I'm going to find some new tools for Papa. He could use a new hammer." As Timothy wandered elsewhere, he waved to the two girls before leaving. "See you two later!" He hollered, softly chuckling as Sophia pouted at him from her spot beside Mercy. "Timothy, come back! Oh, you're no fun!" Sophia crossed her slim arms in a tight bundle, frowning as she could only helplessly watch Timothy ditch her and Mercy. "Boys! C'mon, Mercy. Let's go browse some more." Remaining Silent as if she were a mute, Mercy followed Sophia as she approached another shop nearby.

Mercy slid past a mingling crowd, each and every individual intent on heading to their desired destinations. Another body forcefully collided with hers, a faint grunt emerging from Mercy's slightly parted lips as her rear harshly slammed against the dusty earth below her. Before she could even react, large, clammy hands covered Mercy's mouth to prevent her from crying out to Sophia for some much needed assistance. Whoever had grabbed Mercy was obviously way stronger than her, since no matter how much she seemed to struggle, her unknown assailant would not release her from his firm, unforgiving grip. To Mercy's dismay, Sophia was no where in sight anymore. I have to get away from whoever this is. Mercy's racing heart loudly thudded against her chest, adrenaline surging through her veins to assist her as her small, slender body wriggled to and fro in her struggle.

Alas, Mercy's attempts to free herself were in great vain. It suddenly dawned upon her that she was being dragged into an alleyway and out of the market. She could no longer see anything, and this was due to the fact that she had somehow been blindfolded without even realizing. Mercy as vulnerable as a tiny mouse being held captive within the tight, merciless grasp of a cat intent in devouring her. Terror grabbed hold of every section of Mercy's panicked mind, her labored breathing becoming heavier with each slow, unbearable second that passed by. She had no clue as to where she was being taken or what this person was going to do with her. Darkness seemed to engulf her sight constantly, the soft blindfold applying an almost suffocating pressure around her head. Almighty Father, please help me. Do not let any harm come to me.