Chapter 1: The Chase

The forest was calm, filled with the harmonious song of birds that were chirping in the treetops. A gentle, cool breeze ruffled the leaves in the trees, slightly causing the long branches to sway back and forth. Squirrels were roaming around, either climbing trees or digging up acorns hidden in the soft dirt. The long strands of bright green grass covering the ground were still, undisturbed and untouched. Even things up above were peaceful. The sky was a lovely shade of blue, with fluffy white clouds slowly soaring past. Warm rays of sunlight shined through the leaves of the trees, and lit up the forest floor below.

     Suddenly, a bark rang through the air, and a flash of black and white flew out of its hiding spot from inside a nearby puffy bush. The creature darted after a squirrel, its brown eyes bright with excitement, pink tongue lolling. The squirrel squeaked in alarm, running as quick as its tiny paws could carry it, its long, bushy tail streaming out behind it. Heavy footsteps could be heard as a figure emerged from where the creature had come from, whom was softly panting from exhaustion. "Patches, wait up! Slow down, boy!" A feminine voice called. It belonged to none other than Mercy. She brushed her bangs out of her eyes, then proceeded to run after Patches, whom was quite occupied as he chased a poor, frightened squirrel.

Mercy suddenly halted as she eventually neared the lake, which was inhabited by many fish of all shapes and sizes. Lots of people from her civilization came here to go fishing or to relax. She saw a young man fishing at the bank, a wooden fishing rod clasped in his left hand. His hair was a striking chestnut brown color, and his eyes were the finest shade of hazel. Another person was with him, sitting on a large, flat rock. She had long blonde hair and light, gentle brown eyes. Mercy smiled as she instantly recognized them. "Hi, Isaiah! Hi, Molly!" She called to them. Both Isaiah and Molly turned their heads to look over at her. They both instantly smiled. "Hello, Mercy!" Isaiah called, beckoning her over. Mercy walked over, then gave both of her friends a hug.

     "My, you sure have grown. I remember when you were just an infant." Isaiah said as he returned Mercy's hug. "How have you been, Mercy?" Molly asked with a small smile, her blind brown gaze meeting Mercy's cyan blue eyes. "I've been great! I love taking walks in the morning, especially when the birds are out singing." Mercy responded. "Yes, its quite lovely. It calms a person quite easily- being one with nature." Molly said, still smiling. Isaiah nodded in agreement. "It sure does." Mercy quietly agreed with them, then spoke. "Have you seen Patches?" Mercy asked. "He went after a squirrel, and I kind of lost him. We were on a walk, until he saw the squirrel." She explained.

     "I think I saw him go that way, towards the field, where the shops are located." Isaiah said, pointing over to a large grassy field. In the distance, there were small wooden buildings all around, forming a kind of circle. "The market?" Mercy echoed. "I hope he doesn't get lost." She sighed. "Thanks, Isaiah!" Mercy called over her shoulder, running off towards where the shops were. "You're welcome!" Isaiah called back, waving.

     I hope Patches doesn't get into any trouble. Mercy thought. The market can be a confusing place, especially for an animal. It's always so crowded and busy. Mercy began to follow a cobblestone path, which lead to the market. It wasn't long before she reached her desired destination. She proceeded to walk up to the front gate, where she would be able to enter the market. Two guards were stationed there, to make sure no one tried to break in and threaten the place. One of them nodded to her, indicating she could enter. Mercy silently opened the gate, then walked inside.

Instantly, she became overwhelmed by all the sights and smells. The loud chatter of people filled the place, and the pathways were crowded and always full. People of many colors were either shopping, browsing, or trying to get where they needed to go. Many tall, wooden signs pointed to where a certain shop was located. Bright colors were everywhere, as far as the eye could see. Banners and flags waved wildly in the wind, proudly bearing the symbols of each shop they belonged to. Mercy could smell food, herbs, spices, and many other scents wafting out from the different shops. Shop owners were calling out to people, offering irresistible deals, prices, and discounts.

     I'll never find Patches in here, wherever he is! Mercy thought in dismay. She began to look around for a lost dog cluelessly roaming around. Mercy hastily said an 'excuse me' whenever she needed to get past someone. She could feel herself swiftly becoming anxious. "Patches!" She called, straining to hear a bark of some sort over all of the noisy chatter. "Where are you?" She cried. Mercy peered down a nearby alley, then jumped when she heard a loud thud. A trash can had fallen over, and she began to cautiously walk over to it.

"Patches?" Mercy called softly, as a creature began to emerge from the filthy, metal trash can. A friendly bark greeted her words, and the furry face of Patches revealed itself as the pup looked over at her, wagging his fluffy tail. An old banana peel was perched on the top of his head, making him look ridiculous. "There you are!" Mercy exclaimed as relief flooded through her. "C'mere, you rascal!" She said with a warm smile, then held out her arms to hug Patches as he bounded over to her. Patches instantly leaped into her arms, which caused Mercy to smile. Mercy plucked the banana peel off of Patches's small furry head, then tossed it onto the ground below. "I guess you got distracted by the trash and forgot about that silly squirrel." She said, petting him. Patches looked up at her, then barked as he wagged his tail.

     Mercy sighed. "Let's go home, Patches. Mom must be worried about us, by now. We're late for breakfast." Mercy said, then stood up. She proceeded to exit the market, then began to head home with Patches being held in her arms.