Chapter 10: Heeding Advice

"I just don't know what to do, Timothy." Mercy told her cousin as she softly sighed. The two cousins were standing outside on Timothy's wooden porch. Both Mercy and Timothy were gently leaning on the porch's sturdy, wooden railing, and they had their small white hands placed on top of the railing's rough surface.

     "Well, it was just a dream, right? Dreams aren't real, no matter how wacky they may be." Timothy told Mercy with a small smile. He looked at Mercy with his gentle yellow gaze. She seems really sad. Timothy thought, then frowned as he felt a pang of both sympathy and pity for Mercy. Before Timothy could say something to cheer Mercy up, she suddenly spoke first. "Molly has been missing for two months now, and Isaiah has vanished without a trace. I don't know if they are even-" Mercy abruptly faltered as she couldn't bear to finish the sentence. The depressing thought was just too much for her to handle. "Hey- Please don't think like that, Mercy." Timothy quietly said as he reassuringly placed a hand on Mercy's tense shoulder. "I'm sure they're fine. God will watch over and protect them." Mercy slowly turned her head to give Timothy a saddened sidelong glance. "Are you sure?" She asked in a mere whisper.

Timothy, transfixed, was greatly appalled by Mercy's simple question. Is Mercy doubting Christ? Is she losing faith in Him? Timothy instantly became concerned for his sorrowful cousin. "Perhaps you should be praying, Mercy. It can help you connect with God, especially in a desolate time like this." Timothy suggested as gently as possible, since he didn't want to strike one of Mercy's frayed nerves and upset her. "You should also be with your family, too. They can help comfort you." Timothy added with a gentle smile. Mercy looked away from Timothy and resumed staring at the lush, colorful green grass in her cousin's backyard. With a shrug of her shoulders, Mercy said, "I don't know."

"I think you need that right now, Mercy." Timothy gently insisted. His concern for Mercy rapidly began to increase until it overwhelmed his emotional state. Timothy managed to keep calm for Mercy's sake, tranquilly watching her remain motionless. "Okay." Mercy slowly conceded, as if she had been thinking about Timothy's words for a long amount of time. "Thanks, Timothy." Mercy quietly said. She suddenly turned around and wrapped her long, slim arms around Timothy in a gentle hug. Timothy happily smiled as he returned his cousin's warm hug. "You're welcome, Mercy." He said to her in response.

"I'm going to head home now." Mercy suddenly stated as she released Timothy. Her arms were positioned back to dangling by her sides. "See you, Timothy. Thanks for the advice- again." Mercy began to descend the wooden steps to Timothy's back porch. As she did so, Mercy waved to her cousin as she began to leave his property. "Bye, Mercy!" Timothy smiled at Mercy as he swiftly returned her wave. As soon as Mercy had her back turned, Timothy watched Mercy leave with a small frown on his face. He silently made a swift prayer to the Lord to watch over Mercy. Mercy, please take care of yourself. Timothy worriedly thought, his concern for his cousin being revived like a crazed wildfire.