Chapter 6: A Startling Discovery

The sky was a stunning blue, and the warm rays of the sunlight gently shined down on the earthen ground below. Birds were cheerfully chirping as they either flew back in forth in search of berries, or as they gathered twigs and other materials needed for their nests. Mercy was currently walking along a dirt path that would lead her to Molly's house. Mercy was softly humming as she went, and occasionally looked around to observe the scenery.

     A white wooden house soon traveled into view, its structure easily standing out against the tall trees in the background. The roof and shingles were made out of dark oak wood, along with the door. Three wooden steps led up to the spacious front porch that bore two rocking chairs and a mat in front of the door. Perched on the porch's railing were boxes full of vibrant, colorful flowers that were in a state of perfect health.

Mercy ascended the porch steps, then walked up to the dark oak wood door and knocked on it. After a moment, the door opened, and Mercy found herself face to face with Molly. "Hi, Molly. May I come in to visit?" Mercy asked, then waited for Molly's response. "Oh. Sure, Mercy. Come in." Molly said, then stepped aside to give Mercy room to enter the house. Mercy smiled, then walked through the threshold and found herself now standing in the hallway.

Molly closed the door, then made her way to the living room. "You can sit down, if you'd like. I just need to water a couple plants. I hope you don't mind." Molly said as she made her way to a table in the corner of the living room. Resting on the table's surface was a round light brown pot that contained a beautiful purple orchid that was currently in bloom. There was also a watering can full of clear water beside the potted plant. "I don't mind, Molly. Take your time." Mercy said with a smile. "Thanks, Mercy." Molly said, then proceeded to move her hand forward to grab hold of the watering can's handle. Upon doing so, Molly carefully lifted the watering can of off the table, her hand swiftly beginning to shake from having to bear with the heavy weight of the watering can.

     "Do you need help, Molly?" Mercy asked, having noticed Molly was slightly struggling with the task. "Oh, I've got it, Mercy. Thanks for the offer, though." Molly responded, then used her other hand to steady the watering can as she moved it towards the potted orchid. "You're welcome, Molly." Mercy said, a friendly smile lighting up her face. Molly slowly tipped the watering can forward, and as a result, water began to pour out of the watering can's spout. The thin stream of the falling, clear water plummeted down to the potted orchid below, then began to moisten the soil surrounding the tall plant. Molly carefully listened to the sound of the water colliding with the soil, then stopped watering the potted orchid when it had sounded like the orchid had been given enough cool, refreshing water.

A bark caused a startled Mercy to look down at an overexcited fawn-colored pug. The female pug was staring up at her with her kind, round brown eyes. "Hey, Talulah! How've you been, girl?" Mercy asked with a smile. Mercy patted the couch she was sitting on in the living room, having been sitting on it as she watched Molly water the orchid. Talulah produced another bark in response, then hopped up onto the couch and sat down beside Mercy. The fawn-colored pug's curly tail was wagging, and the pug seemed quite happy to see Mercy. Mercy smiled, then reached over and began to pet Talulah with her hand. Molly set the watering can back down on the table, then turned and made her way over to the couch. After having reached the couch, Molly sat down next to Talulah. "That orchid is very beautiful, Molly." Mercy commented with a smile. "Thank you, Mercy! I try my best to take care of it." Molly responded with a smile on her face.

After a moment of silence, Mercy spoke once more. "Where's Isaiah? I haven't seen him around recently." Molly was silent, her smile fading away as her expression swiftly transforming into a saddened one. "Molly, are you alright? What's wrong?" Mercy asked, concern brimming in her cyan blue gaze. "Mercy, I need to tell you something." Molly began, then slowly shifted in her seat to face her friend. "What is it, Molly? You can tell me anything." Mercy responded, her anxiety swiftly rising as she began to dread all sorts of things. Has something happened to Isaiah? Is he sick? Is he hurt or is it something worse? Mercy worriedly thought. She pushed those bothersome thoughts aside as soon as Molly began to speak.

Molly took a deep breath, then began to tell Mercy what was troubling her. "Mercy, I'm truly worried about Isaiah. I fear that he has gone missing. He hasn't been home in days, and I haven't seen or heard from him at all." Molly said as a frown formed on her face. "I'm so sorry to hear that, Molly. Are you doing alright?" Mercy asked as she looked over at her friend. Tears pricked at the corners of Molly's brown eyes, and she soon found herself sobbing. "No, Mercy, I'm not. I-I've told the authorities, and they searched and searched, but they c-couldn't find Isaiah." Molly's voice had cracked as she had spoken. Wet, clear tears now streaming down Molly's flushed face.

"What am I to do, Mercy? I'm so worried about Isaiah. What if he's—" Molly trailed off, unable to finish the last sentence. She couldn't bear the thought. "Don't think like that, Molly. Hopefully the authorities will find him. We just have to wait and hope for the best." Mercy said gently, then wrapped her arms around her distressed friend in a hug. A small smile formed on Molly's face as she returned Mercy's hug. "Thank you, Mercy." Molly said quietly. "Thanks so much."