Chapter 2: Home

Walking along a dirt path, Mercy was getting closer to a small wooden house with each silent step she took. Patches was still being held in her arms, and his eyelids were closed as he peacefully slept. After ascending the porch's wooden steps, Mercy approached the wooden door. She struggled to open it with Patches in her arms, since she didn't want to drop him. Mercy managed to open the wooden door, then used her foot to keep it open as she slid inside the cozy house. After closing the door behind her with her foot, Mercy proceeded to walk through the corridor and enter the living room. She smiled as she gently set Patches down onto a nearby chair.

"Where have you been, young lady?" A feminine voice asked firmly. Mercy swiftly turned around, and found herself face to face with her mother's stern dark green gaze. Clara watched Mercy closely as she silently waited for her daughter's response. I should just tell her what happened. Mercy sighed, then proceeded to explain. "I'm sorry, mom. I was on a walk with Patches, like usual, but then he ran off and started chasing a squirrel. I ran after him, then saw Isaiah. He told me that Patches had headed into the market, and-" Mercy hastily informed her mother.

     She feared that she would receive a punishment, but became surprised when Clara gently silenced her. "It's okay, dear. Just don't run off like that ever again. You had me worried sick! You were gone for a long while." Clara said firmly, but her gaze quickly softened as she pulled Mercy into a hug. "I won't run off ever again, mom. I promise." Mercy said, then gratefully returned the hug. Clara let go of Mercy as a small smile formed on her face. "You must be starving! Luckily, I saved you some pancakes. They're in the ice box." She said. Mercy smiled. "Thank you." Clara returned the smile. "You're welcome." Clara responded.

     Mercy proceeded to enter the small kitchen, then approached the ice box. She opened one of its doors, then retrieved some pancakes from one of its freezing shelves. Mercy proceeded to close the ice box's door, then sat down at the round, wooden table to eat. She savored each bite, greatly enjoying the taste of the golden brown pancakes. Once Mercy had finished the meal, she proceeded to wash the plate off with soap and water in a nearby basin. She made sure that she dried the wooden plate off and put it away afterwards.

Now upstairs in her bedroom, Mercy was sitting at her tall wooden desk, writing on a piece of parchment with a long quill. Light that was being illuminated from a nearby wax candle aided her. The dancing flame at the tip of the candle's string slowly waved and flickering. Mercy stopped writing for a moment to dip the quill into a bottle of pitch black ink. Afterwards, she proceeded to resume writing on the parchment. Once she had finished, Mercy set the quill down, then folded the piece of parchment in half. She sealed the piece of parchment with a red wax seal, then set the parchment aside to let wax seal dry.

     After having turned her head to stare out of the window, Mercy noticed the moon was high in the sky, and was casting an eerie glow into her room. Twinkling stars brightly shined within the dark night sky, and traveled across the pitch black void as far as the eye could see, and beyond. Crickets loudly chirped and sang simultaneously in sweet harmony outside, their song seeming to be never-ending.

Mercy blew out the candle as a soft yawn escaped her. She got out of the chair she was sitting in, then approached her wardrobe on the other side of the room. Mercy picked out a fresh, clean white night gown, then changed into it. Afterwards, she plopped onto her bed as exhaustion began to overwhelm her tired body.

     Patches suddenly padded into her bedroom, then hopped onto the bed and curled up beside Mercy. Mercy smiled, then gently pet Patches as she slowly began to succumb to the gentle pull of sleep.