Chapter 2

Sweat droplets arose from the temples of my forehead once I took in the multiple pairs of eyes on. From brown to blue, purple to green, I could see it all within a single glance, and that fact pained me.  My heart pounded repeatedly against my petite chest; the event giving me a sudden reminisce to a so-called "regular" Wednesday in eighth grade. From the orders of my period 4 World History teacher, Mr. Cello, I was instructed to recite my essay about Eva Braun to the whole class. There was nothing foul about my paper -- four pages of 1.5 inch line spacing about Adolf Hitler's wife typed in 12 inch Times New Roman font was worth an A+ in the eyes of Mr. Cello. So what was the problem, you ask? I had a bad case of stage fright.

And I guess I hoped I've grown out of it when I accepted Prodigy's plead. But once I noticed the moisture traveling downwards to wash away the nude powdery layer, I realized how wrong I was. I was wrong for getting into this situation, and wrong for allowing myself to.

Prodigy continued holding my palm tightly for reassurance, but the kind action did little to help with my anxiety. Flash after flash, thoughts about mine and Prodigy's name in the headlining paper geared me towards the upcoming drama. How a single fan could perceive me as a "slut", "easy-go-getter", "fake bitch" -- perhaps any cuss word that could tear down my walls. And that worried me.

The thought about messing up concerned me as well. A single false move could fire back the entire plan, and even God knew that the situation I'd be in would be a tough one to get out. Being known as the "girl Prodigy used for a publicity stunt" was much worse than any other title, simply because I was perceived as fake rather than my true intention, being helpful.

"Don't worry. You'll do fine," Prodigy whispered in my ear. I was taken aback that he noticed how frightened I was by the new experience. I just hoped he was right.

Before I could respond, he stepped foot onto red carpet, exposing our nearly-noticeable P.D.A. handhold. Camera flashes went crazier -- almost blinding as the two of us fake-smiled at the paparazzi. 

Stepping further into the lights caused even greated commotion. Bellicose paparazzis brawling for a chance of the perfect photograph of us nearby, shouting, unhappy fans in the crowd, and blaring newscasters howling for their question to be answered were mixed into the chilly atmosphere. I tried my best to recollect my first words that got me into this predicament, forgetting about the uneasy environment around me and focusing on my duty here. Waving with my free hand, I acted as though modeling in front of millions to see was my specialty. 

"Prodigy! Are you dating this girl?" 

"Who is your date, Prodigy? She is very beautiful!"

"Can you discuss with us terms between the two fo you, Prodigy?"

"Say your name to showbiz!"

The attention we were receiving stunned me completely, causing me to be even more nervous. I tried my best to follow Prodigy's orders -- keep quiet as much as possible until I'm well-fitted into the situation, but I wasn't so sure how much longer I could remain silent.

Prodigy leaned besides me to whisper, "We can't answer all of these questions," I noticed that more camera clicks went off, thinking he was about to caress my neck in front of the public.

"Then how do we tell the world we're a 'couple'?" I murmurred back.

He chuckled lightly to himself. "By doing this." Pulling away, Prodigy forced my chin upwards to look directly at him A sudden gaze into his orbs of chocolate tuned out the world around me, the lights and clicks were, as if, muted and put on pause. Taking a few silencing seconds to examine the twinkling eyes in front of him, he took the chance to lean in and brush against my lipstick-stained lips.