Chapter 16

Picture to the side of Colby's face c:

*

Nicole’s POV

As soon as Prodigy and I were finished wiping the kitchen clean, it was already time for the boys’ second to the last rehearsal for the world tour. A sigh of relief left my system as I glanced at the clock, having it point to 6:40. The studio was approximately a 20 minute drive, so I didn’t bother wasting their rehearsal time to change from my cotton-made Batman pajamas. I figured that I would just catch up on my sleep at the studio, considering the fact that I didn’t even have a minute used for sleeping last night.

When everyone was ready, all of us, including Princeton, jumbled into the limousine. I was a bit surprised to see Princeton; I didn’t see him come out of his room since the incident. 

Speaking of the incident, a part of me was surprised Prodigy didn’t confront me about it. I’ve been hiding -- well, not intentionally, but keeping it a secret -- that I’ve been a child orphan since the day I realized I didn’t resemble my caramel-colored Latino “parents”, which so happened to be my fifth birthday. A great birthday present, wasn't it?

As I guide myself back on the day of my fifth birthday -- with a kitchen decorated with a dozen zoo animal balloons, a one-layer chantilly cake, and a house filled with kids and noise -- I'm quite relieved I had asked my foster parents before cutting the ceremonial cake. I remember my appearance had been a bothersome to me since the day I could talk, simply because of the fact I contrasted with my "mother and father". Maybe our face structure and personality was on point, but the color of our skin was what threw me off. Perhaps Prodigy realized that too.

I utterly shook my head, engulfing one of the limousine's satin-leather pillows into my chest as I hugged it tightly. I never really liked thinking about my childhood, specifically the fact that I was an orphan. I have not yet built up the strength to find the reason why my biological parents gave me up, knowing the fact that I possibly could have been a "mistake child". If I really was one, though, I wasn’t ready to hear it myself.

Prodigy’s arm immediately relaxed on my shoulders when he noticed my mind’s absence. “Are you okay?” he whispered lightly in my ear. He probably didn’t want the other boys to hear him. As I felt Roc’s, Ray’s, and especially Prince’s glance, I nodded my head quickly. I was horrible under pressure, another reason why I’m confused Prodigy picked me to be his apart of his act.

As if on cue, the limousine came to a quick stop, saving me from explaining myself. Roc immediately unbuckled his seatbelt and left the awkward-filled limo, following him was firstly Ray, then Princeton. Prodigy stared at me, his eyes reading that he was worried about me. The only thing I honestly wished for was that he didn’t bother to ask me about it, same goes with the other boys. 

“You guys need to be sharp with your moves!” yelled Walter, who was shaking his head in disappointment. I heard Ray groan loudly; he was never one who was patient with life. I laughed as I leaned my head on a thick pillow Keisha loaned me. I figured she must have brought it with her from the hotel, since she knew I wouldn't be doing anything at the stage but sleep.

My comfort position was me laying flat on my stomach. Obviously, there was no bed in the studio, so I settled laying on the floor instead. My plan failed, however, because the upbeat tempo to “Girls Talkin Bout” had been blasting through the speakers since the time we’ve arrived here.