Chapter 17

Happy New Year's Eve! Oh, and play the song to the side. I've been jamming to this song literally the entire year.

*

Nicole's POV

"Wait, so you're telling me that you were so mad at Prodigy, that you pushed him in the mud?" I heard Colby let out a wail of laughter as I set my folded sweater in a suited luggage case.

I chuckled. "We were in middle school! He hung out with the wrong group, man, and I had to show him what was up!"

I was just about done telling Colby my past memories with Prodigy, specifically the one where I had pushed him in a pool of mud when I caught him about to blow a blunt. We were both in eighth grade at the time. Being in middle school worked both of us up -- with it's strict rules on self-discipline, the school had hoped to aspire the minds of each of their students in a responsible matter. That failed, however, since there were these group of boys who smoked weed right after fourth period. I remembered because one of the boys (whom I had forgotten his name) had the hots for me, and I found that quite impossible at the time. I recall that Brian, the head of the group, got the weed from his older brother. I didn't really care that they decided upon ruining their lives, but things took a turn when Prodigy started hanging out with them. In less than a month, he became cocky, ruthless, and his breath had that sickening scent in it whenever he'd pass by to take his seat in Algebra. He also hadn't been conversing with me as we used to, so during Brian's party, I cursed him out and shoved him as Brian was about to give him a roll of weed. He fell into a pit of mud -- I remember since I heard the "splashing" sound -- but I didn't bother to give him a chance to respond since I had stormed off. He visited my house a little while after, apologizing for neglecting me and spending his time with the druggies. I simply couldn't reject his apology, since he was covered with dry mud from head to toe! That night ended with me helping him wash up to staying up all night watching re-runs of Punk'd.

Colby shot me a look of hesitance. "I don't believe you, Nicole. You don't look like someone who's aggressive, but I'll take ya' word for it." Both of us laughed at the end of her statement, simply because she was right.

In all honesty, Colby was being quite nosy about my past. I've only known her for a day, and she already had me gushing about me and Prodigy's nostalgia. For some odd reason, she was really fascinated with my "relationship" with him, to the point where she had wide eyes whenever I complimented him in the conversation. It was most likely because we've been best friends for so long -- and even I had to admit that being "best friends" then becoming "a couple" was definitely a story to tell.

I could tell by her attitude that she looked up to me and Prodigy, and hoped that she'd have a strong relationship like ours for her and Roc, considering the fact that she was bothering me for ten minutes straight to spill childhood details. I didn't reject the chance to stroll down memory lane, though, since Colby also offered to help me pack for the tour.

I folded another one of my t-shirts as Colby took control of handling my bras. There wasn't really much to pack for. Since the crew and I were only staying in this hotel for preparation of the tour, I only had to reload the clothes I used throughout the entire two weeks of staying here.

"How did you and Prodigy meet, anyway?" Colby inquired, stacking a set of nude strapless bras into the corner of the Louis Vitton luggage. I chuckled to myself at how amused she was with our friendship. But, in all honesty, I didn't blame her.

"His mom and my mom are close friends," I replied, transposing my inverted t-shirt. "They were best friends in high school and have been since then. My mom isn't capable of bearing children, so she adopted me. Both Prodigy and I were both around the same age, so I think this was all pre-planned. I think they had this crazy idea to send both of their kids at the same school or something, since we ended up going to the same pre-school, kindergarden, elementary school, middle school, high school..." I giggled. "I'd basically see him every day either on campus or at my house. I guess you could say we were kinda forced to be best friends."