Take A Hit

~Later That Day~

Walking down the crowded road I called Bloods Alleyway because of all the gangs, I felt myself calm down a little. I had never liked the fancy parts of life and this street made me feel at home. I always seemed to keep with the bad parts of Detroit because that's where the atmosphere comforted me. Made me feel secure, like I wasn't alone. Don't ask me why-even I didn't know.

Suddenly I bumped into someone. I ignored the person when they spoke and kept walking. However, apparently they didn't like that and the person grabbed my wrist.

I twisted my arm in their tight grip and looked at the person with tense eyes. It was a white man. Taller than me by maybe three inches and muscular. His hair was bleach blonde and his eyes a sharp, icy blue.

"Ey? Who dis lil' girl? You lost, bitch?" He asked with a twinge of Detroit slang.

"No..." I whispered, looking at my feet.

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU, BITCH! SPEAK UP!" He shouted.

I cringed. That's when I heard another voice from nearby say, "Slim, let the poor girl go, yo. She ain't causin' no trouble." I glanced up to see a chocolate skinned man smile kindly.

"The names Proof, Lil' Mama. What's your name, ey?"

I stuttered my name. "A-Alexis Sadie Brindle." Proof chuckled and the man I knew then as Slim let me go roughly, making me stumble. I just barely caught my balance and then stood up straight. Slim scoffed at me.

"Whatcha talkin' to little white girls now for, ey Proof? You got some damn soft spot now or somethin' for these sluts?" Slim said as if I wasn't right there listening. I gasped. I wasn't going to take that. Anger flared inside of me and I flipped him off.

"Fuck you." I spat venomously before turning and storming away. I heard Proof laugh from behind me as I walked, making me stand a bit straighter. Then his laughing cut short.

"WAIT! YO, SLIM-" I heard Proof shout, making me tense. That's when I felt someone grab my arm viciously and turn me around. I came face to face with Slim and his fist met my jaw.

Hard.

I shouted in pain and fell backwards onto my ass, clutching my cheek in pain as it swelled.

Slim was glaring at me menacingly, but for some reason his anger just made me less fearful. We all die, why not make my time then? I had nothing left to live for, anyways. I met his eyes bravely. After a few seconds of heated silence he backed away then turned and walked off. Proof jogged up to me, offering a hand.

"Ey, sorry about Slim, yo. He ain't usually like this around no one except Kim." He saw my confused expression. "His ex-girlfriend," he elaborated. I sighed and took his hand, allowing him to help me up.

"Thanks. It's okay, though. I'll go home and ice this. Nice meeting you." I told him, allowing a small smile.

Proof chuckled and waved. "Okay. See you 'round, Lil' Mama Sadie!" He then turned around and went after Slim.

I blinked. Nobody had ever called me by my middle name before. I kind of liked it. Even despite my throbbing cheek my smile stayed on my lips until I reached my apartment.

It felt nice to smile again.