33.Cute and Dirty

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer

Take one down and pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

98 times I lit up the screen of my phone. 98 times I stared at the last message.

'When can I see you again? <- I'm asking Jack, not you.' Donnie hadn't replied even after 3 days.

"Sir, your beer's getting warm," Henry said close to my ear.

Music boomed even at the long bar, so it was necessary to invade someone's personal space in order to be heard.

Or so I told myself. As I turned my head to reply, my lips almost touched Henry's.

"You've completely ignored yours, soldier."

"I don't drink on duty."

Henry had been sitting at the bar beside me, munching on stale pretzels. His beer and mine equally unattended.

"We sure suck at getting shitfaced." I leaned back against the bar as my eyes took in the muddled view of bodies grinding against one another to music.

Warm fingers touched my wrist. I tightened my grip on the dark phone in my hand.

As soon as we'd entered the Crimson Kiss, I'd made the mistake of checking my messages. What had I been expecting?

For a long time there had been only me and my phone. No Henry at my side. No chatter around. And no music.

The silence coming from Jack's world had been deafening.

"Let it go, sir." Henry's fingers squeezed my wrist gently as he added, "You could have any guy in here."

"I don't want any guy in here." Except maybe you.

And that guy...

He parted the crowd, making his way from the VIP booth onto the dance floor. His shirt, neatly parted, offered a hint of the sexy muscle grooves sculpting his torso and those pants sure loved to hug at his bulge and long legs. I could recognize Teddy's figure anywhere.

A sweet-looking youth took his arm and huddled against him. They embraced and swayed to the music. Lips smashed together and tongues met in titillating glimpses as Teddy's mouth parted over the twink's.

Fuck, it was getting hot. So I slipped the phone in my pants and removed my suit jacket. Henry took it without a word.

I watched him shuffle through the crowd toward the cloakroom. A character fallen off the Silver Screen from speakeasies and into a gay nightclub. When he returned, his gray suit jacket was still on.

My fingers tiptoed over the buttons of Henry's suit, "Why not leave yours too?"

He guided my hand underneath the jacket until it met with the cold touch of a gun.

I smirked tracing the straps of his body holster. Eyes closed, I saw Jack's torso donning the same type of harness.

Where the fuck are you, Jack? Why isn't this you?

As soon as I retracted my hand, I put it to better use wielding a beer bottle.

Chug-chug-chug. The chant echoed in my head from the past, when I had first heard it directed at me. Sean urged a 12-year-old Steve to down a beer. Idiot brother.

Henry ordered another bottle for me.

"Cheers, soldier!" I said bumping the new bottle against his old, untouched one.