21.No Place

This villain door was different. Blood-red and tall. Two guys in dark suits stood to the left side of it, facing the desk to its right.

"Hey, Henry," one of the guards greeted while shooting a confused glance my way.

Yes, I know. Everyone wonders who the heck I am. Including myself.

"How's the missus?" Henry asked and shook the guard's hand.

"Not complaining as much," the man jested with a smirk revealing a missing tooth.

The other guard shared a quiet handshake with Henry.

A woman, I assumed was the assistant, sat behind that desk nearby. She smiled at us. "I'll let him know you're here, Henry."

He gave a thumbs up.

"Is Mr.Fox aware of the Russian situation?" Henry asked the guards in a hushed voice.

"Stalking our grounds?" the guard missing a tooth blurted out.

Henry nodded.

"He's been cursing a lot for the past two minutes. So, there's your answer."

Jack really was on the other side of that bloody door. My patience ran dry.

I pushed past Henry and burst inside.

"Sir," Henry let out in awe.

The first thing I saw was Donnie in an armchair by a bookcase. Not interested.

Farther off, Jack sat on a large wooden desk. Finally.

"You shouldn't have allowed them to stake out Headquarters in the first place. Make sure they're gone for good," he spoke on a phone.

That green gaze peered at me, narrow and fiery. He's angry.

I imagined him throwing the phone over his shoulder and darting straight at me. He'd greet me with a long, deep kiss. Come on, Jack.

The phone rattled on the desk and he rose sauntering toward me. But a few feet away Jack stopped.

"Just for once. Can't you listen?" He snapped.

My brows perked up. "You mean obey."

"Screw your pride. It almost got you killed."

"No. It was your silence. You send this asshole to do the talking for you? How fucked up is that, Jack?"

Donnie left the armchair and approached with an eerie smirk painted on his scarred mug. "Keep me out of this, dweeb."

"How can I? You're always butting in," I barked at him.

"Jack asked me to explain the new arrangement to you. So I did. You're the one throwing a fit over fuck knows what," Donnie spoke shaking his head as if in disappointment.

What's he playing at? He didn't explain shit about the move.

"That's enough, both of you shut up," Jack shot at us.

My word against Donnie's. Who's Jack going to believe? His fickle, crazy whore or his-? What the fuck is Donnie to Jack exactly?

"You were supposed to drive Steve to his place? How did he end up here?" Jack stared down Henry.

Only then had I noticed that he'd followed me inside and closed the door behind us. His wide eyes betrayed fear.

"Yes, Henry, why didn't you put me in my place like the whore that I am?" My mocking smirk bloomed unabated but it wasn't aimed at Henry.