16.Spasiba

"Take the long way around," I mumbled fixing my gaze on the world passing by the car window.

"Just drive then?"

"For at least a couple of hours." My forehead pressed against the window. I shut my eyes.

Henry's silence was soothing. Rustling of clothes, skin on leather, and the occasional sigh.

Suede fingers touched Jack's pale hand. The image played over and over until my eyes snapped open.

I stared at the dashboard clock and counted the seconds in my head, trying to match them to the actual passing of time.

Twenty minutes later I found myself watching Henry drive.

He glanced in the mirrors more often than necessary.

"Are we being followed?" I asked.

Surprise filled Henry's gaze and he shot a nervous smile at me. "Why do you ask?"

"Curiosity."

"We're fine, Steve."

I looked at the rear window. Then settled on the side mirror.

A turn. Another turn. And a black gleaming four-wheeler stood out, always a car or two behind us. Probably a Ford Raptor.

"Is it the Russians?" I tried to guess.

Henry's silence was annoying. It reminded me of Jack's tendency to ignore questions he didn't want to answer.

"What? Did Mr.Fox order you to keep such things from me?"

"Yes," he admitted.

"What's your job, Henry?" I asked, but what mobster wanted to put out a job description. Especially in front of a stranger.

I rectified, "When it comes to me, what are your orders exactly?"

He took a moment. Driving the car apparently grabbed his entire focus.

"Your safety. This is my primary concern."

"Hah! Did you shit your pants when the Russian fellow approached me?" I was mean.

His glance was full of angst.

"I watched him closely, but assumed he'd walk past you."

"And once we got to talking?"

"Why do you ask, sir?"

"Well, just trying to figure out if you're shit at your job or not." Why was I pouring all my venom at this guy? Mr.Finley, you're such a jerk.

"Sir, I thought he'd move on. And I had my gun out the entire time in case he tried anything," he spoke stiffly and barked another 'sir' at me.

"Are you an army man, Henry?"

His wide eyes confirmed my suspicions. Amusing bloke.

"A few years, then turned to the private sector."

"Then met Jack. How long since you've been working for him?"

Henry frowned and clenched his jaw.

"A year, sir."

"Are you happy with your job?" I became curious.

Baffled, he uttered lowly, "For the most part."

I looked back and caught a glimpse of the black four-wheeler three cars behind us.

"Russians? Just nod."

He did.

"Stop the car."