30.Your Right Hand

Back to life without Jack. Back to my place. Back in the seat of another nondescript car.

I took a peek at the driver's eyes reflected in the rear view mirror. Unfamiliar.

My limbs yearned to stretch and I rubbed the back of my neck looking out the window.

Dawn. Darkness gave way to light, but it had a tainted glow coating the world in fiery colors.

Only a few hours left for me to get ready for work.

I wondered if I'd bump into Henry at all that morning. Maybe as he cleared out of the apartment below me. Maybe in the street. Maybe never. Jack had certainly re-assigned him.

Another glance at my driver. Could this blond guy in his forties be my new bodyguard?

He was bound to give me one of those looks. Ah, like the one he's throwing at me right now.

'Who are you?' It spelled out.

I shrugged. 'No idea.'

Heavy lids closed and secluded me to darkness. My mind jumped from thought to thought, like a kid jumping puddles. Jack. Donnie. Water trickling down my naked body.

Jack wrapped a large towel around me. "Donnie said that you'd complain about him eventually," he observed amused.

We had just stepped out of the shower. His hair dripped on my hand as I cupped his cheek.

"I'm not complaining, I'm telling you that I can't trust him. And maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't trust him so much either."

Jack's smile crumbled and his gaze turned cold.

Darkness swallowed memories and my eyes snapped open. Sometimes silence was my damn friend. I should have kept my mouth shut.

The car took a sharp turn and we entered a dimly lit parking lot.

So this guy was not going to be my new bodyguard. We were making a switch for the second time since I'd left the hotel.

The car stopped a few feet away from the elevator.

"Top floor," he said plainly.

"Thanks," I mumbled and got out.

A grunt rumbled in my throat as I forced my weary body to walk up to the elevator doors.

Ding! I stepped inside and pressed the button.

Switching cars was smart in case anyone followed. I wondered if Jack moved around like this. Probably.

Ding! The top floor was less cluttered and in open air. Sunrise colors stained the sky in long bloody slashes. There was hardly any wind and the frosty air chased away my sleepy state.

This next driver was surely my new bodyguard. He'd be all business and no fun and I'd resent the guy-

Henry stood beside a red Ford. A smile settled on his face while he opened the backseat car door.

My brain lit up in a tornado of notions and conclusions. The backseat and not the front — it meant that Henry was putting some much needed distance between us. Maybe he found my perverted tastes repulsive. Maybe he didn't want to sit near me because he had gotten a belting of his own from Jack. Maybe I shouldn't have cared so much about what Henry thought or what he did.

As I approached, details became sharper and what I had first believed to be a strange shadow, was now clearly a red mark bruising the corner of his mouth.

"Sir," Henry greeted me with that crooked smile of his, skewed worse by his swollen lip.

"Soldier. What happened there?" I asked knowing the answer.