Chapter 12 - Unravelling

A/N: First up - I'm sorry about the late posting of this chapter. I had a week that was absolute hell and failed two tests. This chapter is really short and I'm not happy with it at all, but I didn't want to go so long without uploading so I hope you enjoy it anyway. I can't guarentee when my next update will be, because I'm about to start my exams and I don't want to stress about not uploading when I've got calculus and mechanics to get into my head. I will *try* to post the next chapter on 7 June, if things turn out okay and I get some time to write, but I can't be absolutely sure. Thanks for reading :)

Chapter 12 – Unravelling

I was greeted by a smiling Jared as I walked into the coffee shop. He slid over the counter and gave me a quick, coffee-scented hug.

“Miss Taylor! I’m so glad you’re safe!” he said. “Kai told me what happened to you. You doing alright?”

I returned his smile with less enthusiasm. I still didn’t trust Jared, but I needed him on my side.

“I’m okay. Dealing with it all, you know? I’m back at work, and I actually just came for coffee.”

He stepped back and looked over me, checking that I really was still in one piece. Then he slid behind the counter and effortlessly pulled up two take-away cups of coffee.

“I’ll need three, actually. Jen’s also helping out,” I said.

“Really now?”

A hint of a frown lined his forehead. He passed the third cup of coffee over, slipped them into a holder and added a chocolate croissant.

“Try this. It’s a new recipe,” he said. “Jen’s is the cinnamon latte. I think I might make a turn at the office later, after I visit Annie.”

“We’re not at the office,” I said. Realising I was giving too much away, I added, “we’re out in the field, looking for some new cases. Nothing hectic...Just a distraction from the Conspiracy. How’s Anna doing?”

“About the same. They barely let me see her, and when I do, she’s unresponsive. I hate seeing her like that,” he said, sighing. The energy drained from his voice.

“You’re really in love with her,” I said, reaching into my bag for my wallet.

He hesitated before nodded.

“Don’t give up hope. Things may turn around,” I said. I paid, gave him a smile, and left.

***

I returned to the library and placed the coffee on the desk in front of Jen and Kairo. They sat on the table, still bent over the map – Kairo traced points and Jen wrote them down.

“Any progress?” I asked.

“Not really...Besides for the graveyard, it looks like there’s a symbol on a continent that no longer exists, and another buried in Hell,” Kairo answered. “Thank goodness, coffee.”

He pushed the map away from him and picked up the coffee.

“All five symbols should be on the map...The problem is knowing which symbol is which, and actually finding the markings,” Jen said. Cradling her latte, she shifted to face me.

“So the symbol at the graveyard is still our best bet?” I asked.

“It could be...Or the one marked on the map could be gone already, if it’s one of the two that the Conspiracy has,” Jen said. Something glinted on her hand, and it took me a moment’s distraction to realise that it was a diamond ring.

“As much fun as it sounds, we’re going to search all of the books for more information first, focussing on the graveyard” said Kairo.

I nodded, my gaze still fixed on the ring.

“This is currently irrelevant, but...did you two get...engaged?” I asked.

Jen smiled at me, and kissed Kairo on the cheek.

“We did. On the day you escaped from the Conspiracy,” she said. Her face almost glowed.

“Congrats!” I said, feigning an acceptable level of enthusiasm. “Uhm, I think I left my wallet at the coffee shop. I’m just going to run and fetch it.”

I spun around and hurried out of the room. I followed the twisting passages, not caring where I was going even though I knew I was getting hopelessly lost. I needed to get away from them, just long enough to steady myself. I hit a dead end and collapsed against the bookcase, sliding to the ground and listening to my heart thump in the silence. I swallowed, waiting for the swirl of anger and jealousy to sweep up the pieces that seemed to be crumbling away from my heart.

Strangely, I didn’t feel like crying. I’d done enough of that already. I clenched my hands into fists and released them, wrapping my arms around my legs.

“Maya,” Kairo said. He knelt in front of me, so that his eyes were level with mine. I looked up, glaring at him through the strands of hair that fell across my face.

“F*ck off,” I said, using a choice of words I learnt from Blackwell.

I stood up, facing the bookshelf and pushed my hair back. I took a few deep breaths, hoping he’d listen in the moment it took for me to calm.

“Can I at least –“ he said.

I turned around and swung my fist at his jaw. He stepped back, just in time, and I was denied the satisfaction of punching him solidly.

“No. Say anything or try and touch me, and I will kill you. I’m not sane and passive anymore – you and the Conspiracy destroyed those useless qualities in me – so you don’t want to risk it.”

He raised his hands in surrender and took a step back. I kept my chin up, but he didn’t meet my eye.

“I don’t care that you’re engaged. I seriously don’t care. What makes me so mad is that you kissed me barely a week after you got engaged and that you’ve completely unfazed by it.”

I took a deep breath and sighed it out.

“I don’t even want to know what you have to say for yourself. I’m going home now, and in that time you will apologise to Jen. I would tell you to call me when you’re no longer an asshole, but then I’ll be waiting forever. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I kept my composure as I brushed past him and walked in the vague direction of where I remembered the exit to be.

****

I dumped my bag on the kitchen table and dropped into one of the plastic chairs. Abbey crawled to me and stretched her tiny arms out. I scooped her up automatically and bounced her on my lap, sighing. Archer and Meg ran into the kitchen, Meg crying.

“Maya! Archer’s being so mean! He stole my chocolate and ate it all up.”

“Can’t you sort out your own problems?” I snapped. “And keep quiet. I have a headache!”

They fell silent and stared at me. Abbey hiccupped, as if she was also about to burst into tears. I put her back on the floor and stood up.

“I’m going to my room. Please...No-one disturb me,” I said.

I thought I’d pulled myself back together, but Kairo had been right. I wasn’t ready to be back at work after what had happened.

I was unravelling.