Chapter 1 - A Surprise and a Change of Heart

Chapter 1 – A Surprise and a Change of Heart

“Kairo...” My voice caught in my throat. I froze. He stood on the porch with a smile on his face and a bouquet of white roses in his hand.

“It’s good to see you too, Maya. Are your parents in?”

“What are you doing here?” I spluttered.

“Maya! Who’s at the door?” my mom called from the kitchen.

“I don’t want to be forward, but would you mind inviting me in? It’s awkward standing here outside and I’d really like to speak to your parents.”

I noticed that he wore a plain, black tie with his grey pinstriped shirt and that he was unarmed. Reluctant, I stepped aside and gestured for him to enter.

“Mom, there’s someone here to see you and Dad,” I shouted. I folded my arms and shifted uncomfortably. Kairo glanced around the entrance curiously.

“Uhm, I guess I should take you to the living room,” I said. Archer chose that moment to emerge from the TV room to see who was at the door. His eyes widened when he saw Kairo and darted to me.

“Who’s this, Maya?” he asked, accusingly.

 “This is my boss, Kairo...Or rather, my ex-boss. My brother, Archer,” I explained to both of them. I grimaced. Archer glared at Kairo.

“Stay away from my big sister,” he warned, brushing past us to the kitchen.

“Nice to meet you too, Archer,” muttered Kairo. “He’s the oldest after you?”

I nodded and walked to the living room. I cleared some toys off one of the couches and glanced around.

“You probably want to sit down,” I said, flustered. “Here.”

“Thanks, but I’ll wait for your mother.”

He stood next to the couch, still holding the bouquet. I felt the back of my neck prickle and turned around to see three little heads disappear from the doorway. Archer probably got the younger ones to spy on me, rather than doing it himself.

My mom walked in, drying her hands on a kitchen towel and smoothing her hair. She eyed Kairo with deserved suspicion; my dad trailed in behind her, looking unfazed.

“Mr and Mrs Taylor. It’s a pleasure to meet you. My name’s Kairo Hallow. I’d really like Maya back as my assistant.”

I coughed, surprised by his directness.

“Get out,” said my mom coldly. She put her hands on her hips and all traces of a smile disappeared from her face. “Now. My daughter will never work for you again. You put her in hospital.”

He caught my eye and I shrugged.

“Mom, I wasn’t in hospital. I was just at the hospital. He put himself in hospital.”

I closed my eyes for the briefest moment, unwilling to relive those moments. They still haunted my dreams.

“Honey, let’s just hear what the young man has to say first,” said my dad in a soothing voice. He patted Mom’s shoulder and led her to the couch. She sat down, but ice remained in her gaze.

“Maya, why don’t you go get some tea or coffee? And tell Archer to take the young ones upstairs,” he requested.

As quickly as possible, I put some water on to boil in the kitchen, stacked cups and saucers on a tray and chased Meg and Wren upstairs. Abbey crawled after me wherever I went, so I balanced her on one hip and carried the tea-tray with my free arm.

When I returned to the living room, I nearly dropped the tray. My mom was smiling and no longer looked angry. She arranged the bouquet of roses in a vase while my dad shook hands with Kairo.

“What did you do?” I mouthed to Kairo as I placed the tray on the coffee table. Abbey grabbed some of my hair and shoved it into her mouth.

“Maya, won’t you go get your bag? I’ve got a new lead on the Conspiracy, and I’d like your help. That is, if you still want your old job back?” he said.

A grin spread across my face. A bubble of excitement formed at my core. I glanced at my mom first.

“Mom?”

“My dear, I’m sorry I forced you to resign. I didn’t realise there was a misunderstanding. You’re more than welcome to go back to work.”

I didn’t question it. I had her permission to go back to work and I wouldn’t have to lie anymore. I deposited Abbey into my mother’s arms.

“Give me five minutes. I’ll meet you outside,” I told Kairo. Without a moment’s hesitation, I ran upstairs, grabbed my bag and jacket before bolting downstairs.

“Bye Mom, bye Dad!” I called as I pulled the door shut after me. I was free again.

I jumped into the front seat and pulled the seatbelt on.

“How did you manage to do that?” I asked as Kairo climbed slowly into the car. 

“Do what?”

“Get my parents to agree...They would have never let me go,” I said. “Did you see my mom’s face when she heard who you were?”

“I told them I had a kidney transplant and that you saved my life, and that to show my thanks I promised to pay for your studies if you decide on them.”

My eyes widened at his shameless manipulation.

“They believed you?”

“I showed them the scar from the surgery as proof.”

It seemed all too easy. Too simple. My parents wouldn’t have fallen so easily for that.

“They didn’t ask why I was covered in bruises and all of that?”

“Oh...They did.”

His smile disappeared and he looked down.

“What did you tell them?” I asked, worry growing.

“I told them that your secret boyfriend hit you and that you dumped him. Your brother gave me the idea!”

“Kairo!”

I buried my face in my hands, mortified. If he told my parents that, I was dead. No matter what I told them or tried to prove, they’d believe it.

“Hey, I’m just kidding. I didn’t tell them that. I’m not stupid. I told them that you got hurt training.”

I breathed and moved my hands away. That sounded more reasonable, something my parents would believe without landing me into more trouble.

“Of course...Giving your mom those flowers helped soften her up. It was Jen’s idea. You owe her,” he continued. He caught sight of my expression and grinned.

“Hope you didn’t think those flowers were for you, darling. Sorry if you’re disappointed, but maybe this will make up for it.”

He leaned across from the driver’s seat and planted the smallest of kisses on my cheek. I felt my face burn up as he sat back and started the engine. I’d forgotten how infuriating he could be. While he drove, I glared out the window and didn’t say a word to him. I was terrified; did he already figure out how I’d started to feel about him? Or was he just simply teasing me ignorantly? Either way, it made me realise just how foolish my crush was. He was so much older than me, and he had a girlfriend who was stunning and perfect for him in every way. A girlfriend that I was almost certain he loved. The fact that I couldn’t even compare made me angrier than his teasing had.