Chapter 3 - Some Painful Truths

Chapter 3 – Some Painful Truths

“Kidnapping Art? Again?” I said, once the other two had left. We had climbed into the car and were ready to go to the meeting with the Parliament.

“Yes, we are going to. I’m going to get that Immortality Glyph away from him. He needs to die.”

He gripped the steering wheel tightly. I understood his want for revenge, but I didn’t see how it was possible.

“It’s tattooed onto his skin,” I pointed out. “Permanently.”

“Skin can be removed.”

I gasped, taken aback by his nonchalance. He was scaring me. What happened at the factory clearly affected him in a way that worried me. I hoped that it would ease away, but I would have to wait and see.

“And you’ll do this how, exactly?” I asked. I wanted to deflect his plan by showing him the problems. He shrugged,

“There are ways. They’re not pretty, but I’ve been reading up on it. The internet is quite an interesting place.”

A shudder passed through me. This was getting really bad. I grimaced and unbuckled my seatbelt.

“I hope you’re not getting squeamish on me, Maya. When I chose to keep you on, it was because you learnt how to deal with me. You stopped freaking over every small detail.”

I sighed,

“Firstly – you didn’t decide to keep me on, you fired me. Jen forced you to give me my job back. Second, I highly doubt that anyone can ever learn how to deal with you fully, Kairo Hallow.”

His gaze darkened.

“You can leave now. And don’t come back again. I was wrong about you – I thought you’d help me. Don’t you hate him?” his voice took on a note of anger as he asked the last question.

“You’re firing me again?”

“Yes,” the one syllable was bitter and cold.

“I don’t hate Art, Kairo...Or maybe I do. I just don’t want to see him tortured. I think he’s suffered more than enough of that. And no, I’m not letting you fire me again!”

“Fine...When I get my hands on him, I won’t torture him...in front of you,” he muttered the last few words.

“Kairo!” I exclaimed, clicking my tongue in annoyance and climbing out of the car. I slammed the door shut.

I paced up and down in front of the car. I pressed my hand to my forehead and rolled my shoulders. This was more than I was used to dealing with. I started walking to away, towards the coffee shop. I had to find someone to talk to.

“Where are you going?” he called from behind me.

I stopped and turned around. His tone was almost threatening.

“To find somewhere I can think,” I snapped back.

“Maya?”

“What?”

“I’m...sorry,” he said. “I just want justice.”

I sighed and walked back to him.

“No, you want revenge and you’re confusing it with justice. Revenge won’t do you any good. It won’t bring you parents back.”

“It won’t. You’re right, but the Lifemark will.”

The gleam returned to his eyes. I paused and looked up at him.