Chapter 5 - Asylum

A/N: Hi! Thanks for reading :) The next upload will be in two weeks (01/03/14)! Things are getting hectic at university, so I want to concentrate on my work. Read, enjoy, vote, comment and share if you think it's worth it. Thanks again! ~ Hikari

Chapter 5 – Asylum

I paced up and down the reception area, my footsteps hidden by the soothing sound of a fountain. Anna had been wheeled away on a gurney. Kairo was taken aside by a group of doctors, and I was left alone in the tiled foyer with the water feature and some stylish benched that were too uncomfortable to sit on.

I stopped in front of the large windows and looked out at the landscaped gardens. Patients, closely watched by nurses in pale pink uniforms, wandered around. It was easy to picture Anna as one of them.

“Can I get you something?” the receptionist asked me suddenly. “You’ve been standing around a while. You came in with Mr and Miss Hallow, right?”

I nodded,

“Some water would be nice.”

My throat still tickled with dust from the office. It didn’t surprise me that they were familiar with Anna and Kairo.

She handed me a cool glass and I perched on one of the benches, thinking about what happened. The threat of police sirens had prevented Art and his minions from following us. So far, we were safe from the Conspiracy. In any case, Kairo was too distracted by Anna’s health to think about chasing them down.

“How long do you think I’ll have to wait for Mr Hallow?” I asked the receptionist. She checked something on her computer screen. I took a sip of water.

“It’s difficult to say. Miss Hallow is definitely being admitted, but I’m not sure about Mr Hallow. His name pops up in relation to some tests...That may take a while. Why don’t you take a walk through the gardens while you wait?”

I nodded, but stayed where I was. It was both worrying and reassuring that they were putting Kairo through tests. He’d been a whole bowl of crazy today, thanks to Anna’s medication, and I hoped there wouldn’t be any lasting effects.

My cellphone buzzed and I fished it out of my bag. Jen. I didn’t want to speak to her; the prickle of guilt was still fresh in my system, but she needed to know about Anna.

“Hello?”

“Maya! Kai’s not answering his phone...Jared told me that Kai called and Anna was in some trouble, and that he saw the Conspiracy nearby? What’s going on?”

The panic was clear in the pitch of her voice. “Jared saw the Conspiracy nearby? He had their leader over for coffee,” I thought.

“Calm down. They attacked the office, but we got away. Anna...She had, I don’t know what to call it...A breakdown? We’re at the hospital.”

“The hospital? Where’s Kai?”

“He’s with Anna. The doctors needed information from him, I think.”

Lying to her was easier. She wouldn’t worry as much that was.

“And Anna? How’s she?”

“I don’t know. It’s hard to say because I haven’t seen her and Kairo’s not back yet.”

“Tell Kai to call me as soon as he gets back, will you? I need to hear him being himself.”

I let my eyes roll a few degrees. “So glad you’ve asked how I am, Jen,” I thought.