5

Jughead and I walk outside of the school building to the courtyard

Jughead and I walk outside of the school building to the courtyard. A bunch of Serpents are surrounding a lunch table. Sweet Pea hears us coming and looks up as we approach the table. He has a black eye and bruised knuckles. I guess he got into a fight recently.

"Nice article your girlfriend's Mom wrote." Sweet Pea says to Jughead. I sit down next to Toni.

"Yeah, I saw that." Jughead sighs. "Dilton Doiley said he was stabbed when a bunch of you guys jumped him."

"Idiot stabbed himself. With his own knife." Fangs corrects him. To be honest I've never believed anything that kid said.

"And we didn't jump him. It was a fight. Serpents vs. Bulldogs. And you see this?" Sweet Pea points to his eye. "Your boy Andrews gave it to me, just before his girlfriend shot a gun into the air."

I giggle at the fact that Archie gave him a black eye. His focus flicks to me for a moment. "You think this is funny?"

"I mean, a little."

"Wait, what happened?" Jughead asks with shock.

"And of course, Northsiders get off scot free and the rest of us get hauled in by the police. It's payback time." Sweet Pea says and looks down at the papers spread across the table.

"What are you guys talking about?" Jughead notices the papers. "What is that? Is that a pipebomb?"

"Fogarty's cousin was in the Army, he's gonna build us something." Sweet Pea says like he's not talking about a literal bomb.

"You are actually insane." I say in disbelief.

"We'll do it after hours, but it'll shut down the Riverdale Register once and for all." Fangs says.

"You think blowing up a building is going to make things better?" Jughead asks aggravated.

"Can't get any worse."

"Yeah, Sweet Pea, it can." Jughead says. "Let me talk to Archie. Let me figure this out."

"Man, that's your answer for everything. Talk and more talk." Sweet Pea says angrily. He leans forward on the table, "And we don't even know who you stand with. Us? Or them? You can't be half a Serpent." He glares at both of us before they wrap up their plans and walk away.

I get up and follow after him. I catch up and yank his arm back.

"Before you say anything, asshole, I get that you're angry. I am too. But blowing up the Register is not going to help you." I say firmly with my hands on my hips. "I know the Serpents are you're family but some of those Northsiders are like family to me and Jug, so don't do anything stupid. By the way, if you want people to stop treating you like shit and calling the Serpents thugs why don't you stop giving them reasons."

Sweet Pea looks me up and down with the glare that seems to be permanently etched onto his face. "Why do you even care what we do anyway? You don't want anything to do with the Serpents, so why don't you just go back to the Northside where you belong."