Chapter 36: Winding down

Chapter 36

~Riley’s POV~

I felt much better when I woke the next morning, but I was still too weak to do much more than lay in bed and watch everything going on around me. Today was the day the guys would confront guard Kelly’s son and I was probably more nervous than I had any reason to be.

If these people really had anything to do with my father’s murder then they were dangerous and someone could get hurt, someone like Nate and I didn’t think it was something I could handle.

I wiped my nose with another rolled up hand towel and discarded the mess into the trash beside my bed.

“We’ll need to decide on the best approach here. The kid might not even know what his father did…going in with threats aint gonna cut it.” Eddie explained and John nodded.

“Then there’s the fact that we could have the wrong guy. We’re going off something some dealer told us. He could have been lying.” John continued but Nate shook his head.

“It’s too much of a coincidence. Something’s off about the guy.” And that much we agreed on. Guard Kelly really had been too nice for a prison guard. At the time I’d been too lost in my own grief that I hadn’t seen it but now, it was as clear as the day.

Simon had long since reported that there was no credit card trail, no activity in his bank accounts; nothing. It was as if the guy didn’t want to be found, like he was hiding from something and that made him my number one suspect...him and that kid of his.

“What time’s the flight?” I asked. I’d managed to sleep through the earlier preparations and unfortunately I’d missed almost all the plans they’d made. Being sick was turning out to be a major pain in my ass.

“We leave out in two hours...we should be intercepting the kid in three and hopefully we’ll finally have all this shit behind us.” Nate responded and I nodded.

“Do you thin-”

“...I mean, I ship it you know? You and Eddie…he’s a cool guy...made me laugh once.”

I glanced over at Kyle when he managed to interrupt me as he sat across the room talking to Simon who as usual, was typing away on his laptop and only half listening to what my friend was saying.

Across the other side of the room Eddie snorted. “Don’t get it twisted kid, last time I checked I still liked tits.”

I shook my head.

“Not everyone in the world is gay Kyle.” I put in my two cents.

He glanced at me with a small frown.

“Maybe not, but everyone’s just a little bit curious aren’t they Simon?” He continued and I shrugged. As always there was no point in debating with the guy.

Right then Simon glanced up, an eyebrow raised as he looked first at Kyle then at Eddie and with a small shake of his head, he turned his attention back to his laptop.

 “Kyle why don’t you go find something to do so Si can work on ur case in peace?” Nate interrupted from his perch on the chair arm. In hand, he held a file which contained every possible information on guard Kelly and his family which Simon had scrounged up and printed out early this morning while we’d slept.

Kyle sighed. “It’s not as if there’s much more to do here. You’ve got me trapped in this place since yesterday. I feel like I’m about to lose my mind.”

“Get some sleep then.” John suggested but Kyle waved him off and pulled up a chair beside his new best bud Simon. I chuckled.

“So how’d all of you meet anyway? You just happened to work at the same place?” Kyle continued skeptically and Eddie nodded.