Chapter 31: Acceptance

Chapter 31

The second half...                 

~Nathan’s POV~

When I heard the soft click of the lock being turned in the door I bent to scrape the items off the floor, stuffing them back into the small duffel.

“That information was confidential.”

I glanced over at John who was unsurprisingly pissed. “So sue me.”

“These are people’s lives we’re messing with. We were all undercover for a reason and if that information gets out-”

“It won’t.”

“You can’t know that.”

I straightened up, depositing the bag onto the chair.

“It won’t.”

“Nate-”

I turned to face him then, “Let’s stop pretending for a second that your big concern is the information getting out.”

He stood then, sharp eyes travelling slowly to mine. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“We both know that those two would never tell a soul…your problem is that Kyle found out and now he’s pissed at you…well guess what? He’ll get over it.”

“You didn’t see the look on his face when you decided to do what you thought was best for you.”

I shook my head “Riley found the badges, the gun, the suit. He’s not stupid John and the only reason your boy had that look on his face is because you shut him out…like you always do. So if you’re looking for someone to blame, take a good look in the mirror.”

He cursed, dropping back into the chair and I could see the vein pulsing in his forehead.

I took a breath, running a hand over my face in frustration. “Maybe you should just tell him how you feel.” I let the words pass through my lips like some chick advising her bestie and it disgusted me the second they were out.

It was no surprise when he shot me a nasty look that I knew all too well. “Yeah like you spilled your guts to Riley?”

“As a matter of fact I did.”

He shook his head and frowned, looking grumpier than usual…which was saying something.

“We don’t get to have that kind of life Nate… we’re undercover for long periods of time, we risk everyone who associates with us just by breathing…is that the kind of life you want to give him? Where he’ll have to spend his days worried about whether you’ll be coming home and his nights worried about whether someone who’s got a bone to pick with you is coming after him?”

I finally understood. His reluctance with Kyle had nothing to do with the fact that Kyle was a criminal or pride or any of the number of reasons I’d assumed.

“Your experience with your father doesn’t determine how your relationship will be with Kyle.”

“Exactly, because there’ll be no relationship.”

“John the kid loves you almost to the point of obsession, give him a break.”

His eyes, when they met mine again were cold and glinting.

“Give him a break? My father’s job is the reason I have to visit what’s left of my family in a cemetery. I’m not about to put someone’s life at risk because I’m dumb enough to want to believe in happily ever after.”