Chapter 30: Classified.

A/N: Had to give you guys less than half of the chapter because my net sucks butt and it wouldn't load otherwise.

Chapter 30

 We both stood there staring at each other as if frozen in time. Across the room Kyle and John still fought for control of the phone.

Nate spun to face them “Jesus Kyle put the damn thing down you’re not calling anyone!” Nate barked and he froze. His bottom lips wobbled and he bit down hard before finally dropping the phone into the couch and moving past John to take a seat. He looked utterly dejected and when he turned his face away so that the rest of us couldn’t see, I felt anger roll through me as I turned to glare at Nate.

“Why do you have to be such a damn jerk?” Nate said nothing, only glanced at John whose eyes were fastened onto the badges I held in my hands.

“What do you think you’re doing?” the big guy asked, his voice dangerously low and I turned my glare onto him, refusing to back down.

“I could ask you guys the same thing. What’s going on?”

“Isn’t it obvious, we bought them off some guy selling souvenirs, we had to use them to get the infor-“

“John.” Nate spoke softly, shaking his head when his friend looked his way.

Then when John fell silent he looked at me “I think it’s time we told you guys the truth.” He said solemnly and at his tone my heart fell. This couldn’t be good.

I glanced between John and Nate, much like how Kyle was doing then and when Nate gestured for me to have a seat I took a step back and dropped into the small chair. John also grabbed a seat across from Kyle who moved to sit beside him, looping his arm through John’s.

For the moment at least it seemed their little tiff was over.

Nate shoved his hands into his pockets, looked at each of us in turn before his gaze resettled on me. “You should know that we never meant to deceive you two, it just wasn’t in our power to tell you...it still isn’t but I think if we’re gonna do this we should just get everything out in the open.”

“No you mean because I found your little goodie bag you might as well tell us your big secret.” I shook my head. “I knew you guys weren’t telling us something, I just knew it.”

“I don’t think I like the sound of this.” Kyle commented and I nodded in agreement.

“John and I are FBI agents.”

I wasn’t sure if the gasp came from me or Kyle or both of us but there was so much buzzing going on in my head I wasn’t even sure I heard right so I sat in silence, eyes wide and staring.

“I thought you said you were going to tell us the truth.” Kyle glared from his place beside John.

“It is the truth Kyle. When you two met us we were in the middle of a two year undercover operation.” John explained and I only had to look at their solemn faces to know they were telling the truth.

Kyle refused to believe it and I watched him shaking his head slowly, his eyes tinged with uncertainty. “If you guys are joking it’s not funny anymore.”

“They’re telling the truth Kyle.” I said softly.

A dull ache began just behind my ear as I fought to comprehend the situation. I felt confusion, shock and plain uncertainty as my gaze travelled down to the badges once more. It just didn’t make any sense.  I’d known they’d been keeping something from us but this...this I hadn’t even imagined. Even as I had first held the badges in my hands it hadn’t occurred to me that they could actually be…